Alfie was tall, lean and dressed in a tight fitting black suit. Charlotte probably shouldn't of felt so out of place watching the open affection he showed towards her as the ceremony finished but she did nonetheless. When music started to play, indicating the official end, Joe bowed his head down to his chest as people filed out.

Joe could barely believe it when his own mother walked past without recognizing him, but he was thankful all the same. However, it was now just him and Charlotte, with Alfie and Zoe still kissing at the front. Joe stood up and moved from the stalls and tossed Charlotte a look that proved he felt totally lost and maybe Charlotte shouldn't of done but she coughed politely into her fist in order to get Zoe's attention.

Sure enough, Zoe looked down the isle and her hands fell from around Alfie's neck and her mouth fell agape. The seconds from then 'till now were lost somewhere between reality and insanity but now Zoe was burrowed deep into Joe's chest and was hugging him with such force that he was moving back with it. Charlotte and Alfie stood a little to the left of them, exchanging relieved looks once in a while.

When Zoe finally pulled back and wiped her tears away with the back of her hand, Joe presented the cap and placed it on Zoe's head.

"Sorry I'm late." 

Zoe's eyes were bright and glistening, and Charlotte swore she'd never seen someone's eyes so filled with contentment until now. 

"Come on, we need to get a party started." Zoe said after some muffled conversation with Joe and Charlotte nodded although apprehensive and Joe shot her a look that said he felt the same way. Zoe squeezed Charlotte's hand before she led the way and whispered "thank you."

#

Joe felt vulnerable as he walked into the party venue, hopelessly wishing to be lost in between Alfie and Charlotte but to no avail. Zoe was grabbing attention and people whisked over to congratulate the newly weds and Joe tried to slip away but Zoe grabbed his hand in protest, throwing him an eye of warning. 

A lump the size of planet earth formed in his throat as he saw his parents approaching and Charlotte placed a hand on his lower back to let him know she was there when he tried to turn away.

"Joe, is that you?" It was the unmistakable voice of his Mum, the one he hadn't heard for such a long time but he would never forget.

It sounded soft enough, so Charlotte nudged Joe forward. He swiped lazily at Charlotte, shaking his head like she didn't understand.

"Hi." He lifted his head and the syllable had barely ended before there was a strike across his face.

"What are you doing here?" The same woman demanded. 

Joe stumbled back, clutching his red cheek. He narrowed his eyes before retaliating with, "Heard there was free booze."

Her eyes widened like it was a shock. But it was soon replaced with a thick sense of anger.

"Get out. You have no reason to be here." She threatens.

"My sister just got married! Mum! Or are you so blinded by your own bitterness you can't even remember that."

Joe's Mum bared forward, pointing a white-tipped fingernail dead between his brows.

"How dare you turn up here uninvited with a cheap brunette on your arm and think that what you've done is forgotten. You're sick Joe, ill, your own worst enemy and the rest of the world's along with it, pl-"

"And you're blind, delusional, a terrible mother and this cheap brunette is worth more than your frail soul so don't be so damn antagonizing." With that, he pushes past her and heads for the bar. Although Charlotte had just been called a cheap brunette she held some sort of pride because he hadn't left, he'd stuck his ground and yeah, he's probably aiming to get drunk but at least the burn of the alcohol in his throat would bring lesser pain than the words he just spoke.

His Mum turned to head in a different direction but Zoe grabbed her wrist.

"I invited him." She spoke pronounced and clear, keeping her chin held high before she shoved past her in a similar way that Joe did.  

Charlotte was still stood there, on the receiving end of the daggers the rest of the party goers threw at her and she wished she could just disappear. Alfie put a reassuring hand on her shoulder and guided her into one of the booths situated around the edge of the dance floor, in order to allow Joe and Zoe to talk alone. 

"I think she was more excited about seeing Joe than she was about marrying me." Alfie chuckled and Charlotte realized that this must be the first time she's heard his voice. It was nice. Scratchy round the edges and soft in the middle.

"Yeah, she's too sad for someone on their wedding day though. No offence." Charlotte grumbled.

"No offence taken," Alfie held his hands up, "Trust me. I've seen her 'too sad' and God, don't I wish I could take the hurt away from her but I knew what I was getting myself into, I hope you do too."

"What is that supposed to mean?" Charlotte furrowed her brows.

"Don't tell me you're just friends?" Alfie quirked an eyebrow of his own, looking over Charlotte's shoulder to a distressed looking Joe sat at the bar behind.

"Not just friends, fellow survivors of life and all it's brutality." Charlotte mocked.

"You're weird. I see why you and Joe get on." Alfie said with a final note before standing up and mingling with the people who actually knew his last name.

 PLEASE COMMENT AND VOTE I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH XXXXX