sixteen.

"I'm not gonna answer it," Trey pushed his phone to the side but Demi grabbed it off of the blanket and hit the "answer" button anyways. She had been the one that said that today was just about them but his girlfriend was calling him the day after prom, he couldn't just not pick up the phone.
Demi pinched him as she put the phone on speaker and handed it to him.

"Hello?" She hit him again because of how agitated he sounded. Jhene was still his girlfriend. He could be a little more respectful.

"Are you at home?" Her voice was thick with tears and Demi furrowed her eyebrows. Never had she seen Jhene cry before.

"No, I'm out right now. What's up?" Trey asked, clearing the irritation from his voice.

"I just...I don't know who to talk to. I don't know what to do. He's dead," she cried into the phone before breaking down into sobs. Trey and Demi both looked at each other in alarm and confusion.

"Who's dead Jhene?"

"Miyagi...my brother. He had brain cancer and he just died and-"

"I'm coming over, okay? I'll be there in twenty minutes tops," Trey promised and Jhene bid her goodbyes before hanging up the phone. Demi was slowly packing their things up. Even though she felt terrible about Jhene's brother, she didn't want their day to end.

"Maybe you should come with me. You know you're better with the comforting stuff," but Demi shook her head. Jhene didn't know that she knew and she wasn't sure if Jhene wanted her to know.

"You are good at comforting people, Trey. Just hold her like you've held me so many times," Demi played with the collar of his polo shirt and released a deep breath. Why had she been so adamant about Trey and Jhene hooking up?

"Demi..."

"No, Trey, she needs you. You can't leave her now, her brother just died. You can't break her heart too. That'd just be cruel. So go over there and be a good boyfriend and I'll have a movie marathon with Dallas and Forrest," Demi instructed. Trey just nodded and grabbed her hand as they headed back towards his car. After dropping Demi off at his house, he headed towards Jhene's house and mentally prepared himself for whatever condition she was gonna be in.

"You look different," Drake noted as soon as Demi sat down in her usual seat. She scrunched up her eyebrows and grabbed her book out of her backpack before turning to face him.

"A good different or..."

"Like a I just got the best dick of my life over the weekend different," Demi instantly felt her face heat up, causing her to cover her face with her hands as she groaned.

"Hey, I don't blame you. I think everyone got it good this weekend," the seniors were in a much better mood after prom but Demi had just thought that it was because graduation was around the corner and they would be out of this hellhole soon.

"Even you?" She asked and Drake shrugged with a smirk on his face that was even cockier than Trey's.

"Who was she? Do I know her?"

"No, her name is Nicki. She goes to East Compton and she really isn't someone that you would hang out with," Demi couldn't help the slither of jealousy that ran through her body, but then her mind flashed back to her weekend with Trey before Jhene started calling every two hours to cry her heart out and it was gone. Why be jealous of Drake when she had let him go and she had Trey? But did she really have him when he was still with Jhene?

"You're thinking too hard," Drake muttered and Demi relaxed her expression before digging a pencil out of her bag and beginning to copy down the homework on the board.

"Well I'm happy that you had a good prom weekend with Nicki," Demi responded and Drake turned towards the board but opened his mouth to talk.

"And I'm glad that you and Trey finally acknowledged your feelings," he shot her a wink before copying the homework down as well and Demi's hands found their way to cover her heated face once again.

"Mrs. Novak? I need Demetria Lovato to report to the gym please," Mrs. Novak excused Demi and she rolled her eyes as she wobbled out of the class. What was she needed in the gym for? She pushed open one of the double doors and instantly headed towards Coach Reese's office since that was the only person in the gym who could possibly need her.

"Hey Co...Trey," Demi breathed out, closing the door behind her. Instead of Coach Reese, Trey was relaxed back in her chair with his feet on the desk like he owned the place. He kicked his feet off and stood up, wrapping his arms around her waist and pressing her against the door.

"I missed you," Demi giggled as he began to press light kisses on her skin, barely touching her but causing her body to spark a fire that only he could put out.

"I woke up to you this morning. We rode to school together. We spent the entire weekend underneath each other...you're not tired of me yet?" His hands tangled in her hair, which she had taken the time to straighten this morning after Trey had completely ruined it.

"I could never be tired of you baby," he had used causal pet names for her before but this time, it was different. This time it excited her and she ran her hands underneath his purple Nike shirt as he began to trail kisses down her jawline to the sweet spot behind her right ear.

"How's Jhene?" She whispered and Trey stopped his actions, looking up at her through his lashes.

"I don't wanna talk about her," his fingers danced across the buttons on her shorts before he snapped them spar and began to tug them down her hips.

"Wait, wait, wait," Demi took a deep breath, trying to get her raging hormones in check as Trey looked down at her with confused eyes.

"We're not one of those couples who have sex in school, if you can even call us that," Demi buttoned her shorts up and combed her fingers through her hair. Her thoughts were all jumbled up and there was an unbearable throb between her legs but she would not have sex in school, especially not in her coach's office.

"What do you want me to do, Demi? I'm only still with Jhene because you told me not to break up with her. Do you want me to break up with her now?" Trey asked and Demi rapidly shook her head.

"No, just...it doesn't matter. I didn't mean it like that," she pushed her hair behind her ears before exhaling and folding her arms under her chest. She was stuck between wanting Trey all to herself and not wanting Jhene to be hurt. Why did she have to be such a good person all of the time?

"God, I feel like such a fat ass. I had two Special K bars, a handful of white cheddar popcorn, a non salted pretzel, and a brownie from that shady mexican restaurant downtown! I think Sean got me pregnant," Naya whined. They were early to lunch so it was just her and Naya at the table.

"When was your last period?"

"I'm irregular. I've been on birth control so that Sean doesn't have to use a condom," Demi wanted to slap Naya so hard but she kept her hands to herself because Naya's bite was way bigger than her bark and she already had enough marks on her body.

"How about we hit up CVS before practice and we'll get a pregnancy test?" Demi suggested and Naya agreed so they moved onto something else.

Demi hadn't told anyone about what happened between her and Trey and it was eating away at her inside because all she wanted to do was declare to the world that she had found love in a hopeless place and she found it in her best friend and they spent the entire weekend making love, as if they were making up for all of the years that they spent ignoring the obvious love that they had in between them.

"I have to tell you something and you have to swear that you won't tell a soul. Not Sean, not your sister, and definitely not Jhene or Kae," Demi started and Naya's eyes lit up at the mention of secrets.

"I swear I won't. I promise," Naya held her pinky out and though Demi thought that it was childish, she held hers out as well and they locked their pinkies together before Demi began to reminisce about the magical weekend that she had shared with her best friend.