Four

I sneeze as soon as I park in Bill's driveway; springtime allergies always do that to me. I need pills pronto. Well, maybe tomorrow. It's been a long week already and I'm tired. The ground is saturated so I have to go in through their front door which I hate to do, I don't like to bother them. I make it almost to the basement door when I hear my name. Jen. She's sitting at the kitchen island, an envelope in her hand.

"This is for you, Alex."

It's nothing good judging by the look on her face. "What is it?" I never get mail here, Rebecca has told me to come over twice now, she leaves my mail and anything else she deems 'mine' in a box on the front step. I feel like a reverse UPS man.

"I didn't open it but I'm guessing divorce papers. It's from some law office. Are you sure, really, really sure that you two can't work this out?"

She hasn't pried much and I don't blame her for being upset. "No, I don't think so Jen. It's my fault and she has every right to hate me and I don't want to talk about it."

She's still gripping the envelope tightly even when I try to take it from her, as if letting it go makes it true. "Okay" she says finally, releasing it. "If you need to talk or anything, hey, you should come upstairs for dinner."

I probably should but I can't imagine facing anyone after opening up what's in this envelope. I'll make peanut butter and jelly and do my best to force it down. "How about tomorrow?"

She forces herself to smile. "Sure sweetie. Take care of yourself."

I nod and make my escape. I sit down at my tiny table and stare at the envelope in front of me. Of course I knew this was coming, how could I not? I've been out of the house for three months now and Rebecca and I haven't even spoken, much less dealt with anything.

My phone rings and I notice my hand trembling when I pick it up. I only look because I think it might be Rebecca, she probably knows I'm getting the papers tonight. It's not though, it's Ollie. His is the only other call in the world I would accept right now and that's only because he's been so sick. "Hi Ollie."

"Alex, hi." His voice is a little raspy but sounds okay considering he was in the hospital with pneumonia last time I went to the club. I haven't been back to the club in weeks because our table just wasn't very much fun. Everyone was scared and worried for Kevin and Ollie. "Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, thank you for the card."

He was seriously worrying about that? "It's absolutely not a problem, how are you feeling?"

"Better. I've been calling one person a day to let them know I'm alive and trying to get caught up and congratulations, today's your lucky day. I hope you didn't think I was avoiding or ignoring you."

"No, of course not." But yes, a little bit at first. I'd gone over to his place and then hadn't heard from him for a month. Obviously I felt like an asshole when I found out he was in the hospital but until then, yeah, I'd wondered. Unanswered texts will do that.

"I want to see you. I need human interaction but I can't go to the club yet. Will you come over for dinner?"

He sounds hopeful, like he really wants to see me. "I..." I stammered. "When?"

"Tomorrow?"

"I actually can't, I have plans, I'm sorry." Jen will literally kill me if I didn't show up.

"Friday?" he asks. "Or Sunday brunch?"

It's so nice to be wanted and I miss the few friends I have a lot, if I can really call them that. "Friday is fine. What time?"

"Six or so? We'll eat at 6:30 or whenever it's done. Master has been helping me in the kitchen a little bit because I'm still slacking." He coughs and I can't help but worry.