Two

I wake up early Sunday afternoon in a stifling hot hotel room. The loud air-conditioning unit is doing its best to pump air into the room but it isn't anything like cold. I walk over to see if there is any chance of opening the window but no, of course not. I need out of here but first I needed a shower.

I almost break into tears when I sit on the floor to rummage through my suitcase. I didn't do anything last night, not even brush my teeth. I stripped out of my clothes and went straight to bed. Now the realization that my life is packed in a suitcase and that Rebecca is at home, miserable, hits me like a ton of bricks. I lunge for my phone and dial but she doesn't answer. I don't leave a voicemail, there is little to say and even less chance that she'll listen to it.

Brian's name is on the screen, only two below Becca in my contact list. I can't not text him; everything in my body is screaming for punishment, for the rest of me to feel as bad as my soul does right now.

Alex: Sir Brian, I'm available to play today if it would please you.

His response comes just a few minutes later; he's always good about it.

S. Brian: You're never available on non social Sundays. To what do I owe this pleasure?

He's right, once a month I can fake a wrestling tournament or practice but I do it as little as possible. I can only hope that him asking means he might be free.

Alex: I'm a desperate boy.

S. Brian: didn't get quite enough last night?

Alex: I enjoyed it immensely Sir. I can be free anytime today.

S. Brian: Be here in an hour.

Alex: Yes Sir :)

I shower and shave as quickly as possible and then toss everything back in the suitcase, dropping the key at the front desk as I hurry towards my car. As always I remove my wedding ring and text him when I pull into the driveway and he comes to meet me at the front door. "Hello Alex."

I know I'm doing nothing but avoiding everything that is wrong in my life but I need to, at least for an hour or two. "Hello Sir. Thank you for making time for me."

"Always. Come in. Can I get you anything?"

I keep my eyes on the ground, Sir Brian doesn't like to be looked at. "No sir, thank you."

"Go on in and prepare yourself, you have five minutes."

His bedroom is a comfort, a known entity after the craziness of last night. I put my backpack on the floor next to the dresser just like always and dig out my collar, locking it into place. I strip down to just my boxer briefs, for some reason he only likes black and has me leave them on, and get into position. Then the hard part; I try to get into headspace. I glance up at the triskele attached to the ceiling and try to remember last night. The feeling of floating. The freedom.

"You look beautiful Alex, are you ready to play?" he asks, his heavy boots making the floor vibrate.

"Yes Sir."

"Inspection." We always start this way. In the beginning I sometimes went to the wrong inspection position but I'm an old pro by now and I lock my fingers behind my head, making sure I keep my chin tilted down. He walks around me, touching the places he was rough on last night, checking. "How is your knee?"

I know to be honest, always. "A little tender." He doesn't answer but I know he'll make sure that whatever position I'm in today doesn't put too much stress on it, he's very kind that way.