Chapter Three - High School Begins

Scott's best friend, Mile's car sputtered and clanked as it grinded to a halt in an empty spot in the bustling school parking lot. It had to be the most embarrassing car in the entire high school. Luckily, her first day jitters were overtaking the humiliating ride. Although, any car, was still cooler than taking the bus.

Kat exhaled deeply then shouldered her purse and backpack as she exited Mile's beatup Black Cavalier. Miles and Scott chatted something about where they would meet up later. Hopefully someone here would be happy to see her, even if it was only Dee.

Kat's stomach tightened seeing all the unfamiliar faces. She instinctively grabbed hold of her arm, and unconsciously began rubbing the fresh scar, a reminder of being alone and afraid again in an unfamiliar place.

She glanced around the lot at students huddled in groups. Rich kids next to BMW's, Jocks in sneakers and letterman jackets, Nerds with button down shirts, and the Burnouts dressed in black with leather jackets and jeans, where she caught a glimpse of Sean hanging out. It was actually good to see him. Her shoulders dropped at the familiar face.

She walked silently behind Scott and Miles with her eyes locked on Sean. He and Dave's heads were bobbing up and down above the crowd coming closer toward her. Sean looked so comfortable in the student filled parking lot. He was a senior and last year him and Steve had been probably the most popular kids in the school. But for her these kids were so big and older. They seemed so intimidating, yet he didn't seem phased.

"Hey, you good?" Sean asked. Sean sidled up beside her and nudged her gently in the shoulder.

Kat glanced at him. She could actually feel a frown tugging at the corners of her mouth. If feeling like she was about to vomit in the middle of the parking lot in front of the entire student body good, then yes, otherwise No. But she wasn't going to tell him that.

"You'll like it," Sean reassured her. "Remember how you could hardly wait to come? Heck you know probably half of the kids anyway."

It might be true, between her classmates from middle school and the parties and friends of Sean, Scott and Steve she was beginning to recognize faces.

But that didn't mean she feel frightened and overwhelmed. Three months ago, she had her a best friend to conquer high school with. Now alone, trembling, and scarred, no mom, angry at Steve and him, this was not the way she pictured her first day at High School.

"Come on," Sean directed, "I'll take you to the office, so you can get your schedule and locker number."

Kat followed behind Sean, as he led her through the crowds of students and into the building she was feeling thankful for the security of her older brother, whether he realized it or not, it eased her mind knowing he would be at school all day with her and accessible. Even having Scott there, although he would not be help much, was comforting.

Kat glanced around the interior of the building. The building was huge. It was so much bigger than her middle school had been. There were no art paintings or projects hanging outside teachers rooms. It had a much more serious tone. Her stomach rolled.

Sean continued on through the foyer, passing a large glass case displaying trophies, pictures, and plaques of All American's and title winners. Sean stopped to explain where Kat would spend her days in the school.

Kat glanced through the pane of glass, eyeing the football memorabilia. She caught both Sean and Steve's names engraved on plaques and trophies. It was actually pretty cool to see her last name engraved in gold letters for everyone to see.

She was pretty sure Scott would have gotten his name in the case among the athletic accolades too. But without our dad encouraging him, he seemed to lose direction. Steve focused his time keeping Sean out of trouble, pushing Scott aside.