CHAPTER 1: HARSH ASSESSMENTS

Start from the beginning

Sliding into a booth, she tapped the menu screen. With another tap of her wrist, a timer for her lunch break lit her field of vision. A service droid soon wheeled over with her meal, and though the utilitarian bot had fewer social capabilities than the lifelike Artificial Intels in upscale establishments, it got the job done. Lunch was served on authentic century-old plastic.

As Norma dug into her food, the MEI in her tragus hummed. The image of a brown-skinned woman with blond dreadlocks showed up on her retinal insert. Norma connected the call: "So, what's this about a quarter-life crisis?"

"What's up with you first? Let me guess," Skylar's voice came smoky and playful. Norma smiled around a mouthful of spicy goodness. "Eggplant adobo again because you never crave anything different."

The giggling tech entrepreneur flourished a forkful of tender purple eggplant and roasted garlic. "Quality, my dear friend, is a habit. Now, make it quick. I need to get back to the office to wrap up early. I have a thing later." Norma rolled her eyes.

"What 'thing'? Does Norma Reyes have a hot date?! Who are you, and what have you done with my friend, The Workaholic?" Skylar joked.

"It's just a dinner meeting with Chaz."

"Oh," Sky intoned pointedly.

"Ew, no to that inflection!" Norma's angular face channeled bemused disgust.

"Put him out of his misery and tell him you're willing to be Second Wife," Sky pushed.

Norma pictured her best friend's mischievous smirk and upturned sable eyes, knowing full-well Skylar enjoyed tormenting her. Trying not to laugh too loudly, she shook her head. "You're gonna make me vomit all over this nice restaurant. Multi-partner relationships may be the rage, but romance is not on my five-year plan."

"Anymore?" Skylar cut in.

"Shut up!" She cackled. "Besides, the best woman won. Chaz cheated. Nuestra relacion se fue al garete—meaning our relationship went down the drain—so she deserves him."

"Well, in other news," her friend switched pace, "I'm thinking of taking a three-year hiatus."

"Yeah, right. Not after I got you into the art department at Wang & Reyes." Norma snorted as she set aside her plate. Her bestie had an erratic way of choosing life paths, but Sky wasn't that flighty. Uncomfortable silence reigned from the other end of the line. Norma frowned. "Skylar, our company only allows that kind of extended-leave for medical reasons."

"I know," she said laconically.

Norma's olive skin drained of color. "Ay, Dios mio, don't tell me you have a health condition!"

"What? No," Sky swiftly assured her. "You know Enhanced Intels hardly ever get sick."

"Okay, then. Don't joke like that."

"I'm not joking about the hiatus." Skylar sighed. "I hate to step down after you pulled strings to get me hired. I really do. I just—I don't fit in at Wang & Reyes. There's an insane amount of lag in corporate. So, when I got an email last week about this opportunity to do an art fellowship in the outer colonies, I applied and... I got accepted."

Norma threw down her napkin. "How could you, Skylar? This is the closest I've ever been to creating a legacy. Since you've been onboard at Wang & Reyes, consumer approval has gone through the roof. But if you leave now, at least four of my most innovative projects will fail!"

"Whoa! I understand you're trying to retire by thirty, but—"

"You can't possibly fathom how important it is to me to secure my financial future because you don't have to worry about that! The Carters are one of the wealthiest families on—" Norma bit back her frustration. There were reasons she wanted to disappear into luxurious obscurity within the next two years. Yet, certain aspects of her past were off-limits to discussion. How could she expect Sky to truly get it?

"Wow. You know, as a primary investor and shareholder, I resent the implication that I care any less than you do about the success of your company. But, as your best friend," Skylar expressed hurt, "I can't believe you think my family's money impacts how I want the best for you."

"No, you're right. I'm being a dick." Norma squeezed her eyes shut and massaged her temples. "Okay, what I'm hearing is you're not comfortable in a corporate setting. What if we transition you to remote work and give you more artistic license to realize your creative vision? That way, you and I can continue tackling the goals we set for you."

"Norma," Skylar groaned.

"Hold on." In sudden epiphany, the CEO snapped her fingers. "This isn't even about me, is it? You're making this big dumb move because of that puta who broke up with you! That naggy one. What was her name?"

"Are you kidding me? Norms, you could analyze the paint off a wall, but you are so far off the mark on this, it's not funny. This isn't about anyone. I have my own plans for my future." Punctuating her words, the sound of rustling clothes and a luggage zipper came loud and clear.

Is she already packing? Norma scrambled to regain control of the conversation. "At least tell me the plan. You're going off to the Martian colonies for three years and... what?"

"I don't need you to micromanage my situation. I can handle myself."

"Mira," Norma pressed, despite the growing annoyance in her friend's voice. "Look, you're a brilliant creator, but you rarely strategize beyond the latest vibe or mood or whatever. Before you make this drastic change, let me help you find something here."

Skylar released a harsh laugh. "How about you help me find the compliment in that insult, hmm?"

"That's not how I meant it." Norma winced.

"Yeah, I know you can't 'human' right. You're all logic, a Master Strategist. Here's a thought, though. Instead of focusing so much on other people," Skylar suggested, "maybe work out the deep emotions driving your control freak behavior. I've gotta go."

"Wait!" Norma begged.

A server droid cruised to a stop at her table. "May I get you anything else?"

"Not you, I'm on a call," she snapped, waving off the machine. "Sky, please."

The robot's (miffed) automated response ticked across the screen as it rolled away: "Thank you for dining at Yesteryear. Goodbye."

Norma almost felt guilty for being rude to the hunk of metal. But a distracting beep signaled her timer at zero. She deflated. Today's crisis had outpaced her lunch break. No telling how long it would take to repair things after her thoughtless harsh assessment of her best friend. "I have a meeting, but your points are valid, Skylar. Please don't fly out until I can clear things up with you."

"Catch me tonight to chat. If not..." The artist had never sounded more noncommittal. "My shuttle leaves tomorrow morning. You'll have to send a message long-distance after that. Oh, and I already finished my part on those four projects you mentioned."

Norma cringed at the tacit reminder of her own selfishness. "Thank you. I'll call you tonight," she promised. The CEO didn't have time to ask why the hell her best friend was in such a hurry to leave. As she jetted out the door and hailed another Lyft, her mind was already on the next half of her to-do list. Namely, the dreaded business dinner with her ex-boyfriend—and business partner—Chaz Wang.  

revised 2021