Rising Tensions

Tarian entered the infirmary, striding to Keldon's bed. Gripping his friend's hand, he asked, "How's he doing?"

The doctor lifted a pad and answered, "It's not good."

"Dalton, spit it out," Tarian commanded squeezing Keldon's.

Dropping his pad onto Keldon's bed, Dalton replied, "He's not going to make it."

Closing his eyes, Tarian dropped Keldon's hand and slammed his fists into the bed. "I want to find whatever did this to him." Looking over his shoulder, he eyed Caleb saying, "What do we know?"

"Not much, no one else survived," Caleb replied.

"Not good enough," Tarian growled.

Caleb eased from the wall saying, "Keldon didn't let us know where his team went." Pausing for a moment, he added, "The Elves are the only reason he's here."

"I need answers," Tarian muttered, collapsing into his chair.

"I can't give you any," Caleb started wringing his hands.

Slamming his hands together, Tarian rose and tore his attention away from Caleb. Tarian focused on Dalton and commanded, "Save his life."

Wiping his sweaty brow, Dalton looked at Keldon and whispered, "I'll do what I can."

"Do it!" Tarian bellowed before leaving the infirmary with Caleb in tow.

The two crossed half the barren field inside the defenses when Lloyd caught up with them. Huffing, he straightened himself and sputtered, "Tarian... message... from the Dwarves."

Tarian stopped and asked, "Is Fitik among them?"

"No," Lloyd responded.

Squeezing his head, Tarian spun on his heels. "I assume they're waiting in the main hall."

Watching Tarian stalk towards the hall, Lloyd grabbed Caleb and cried out, "Yes. You should speak with Harbek."

Tarian waved before he threw open the hall's door. He saw five Dwarves sitting inside the hall, sharpening their axes. An exceptionally broad-shouldered one looked up from his weapon and grinned. Climbing to his feet, the Dwarf met Tarian halfway and offered his hand. "It's good to see you Tarian, though I wish the circumstances were different."

"Harbek, is it?" Tarian asked, pitching his voice so none of the other Dwarves could hear him.

The red-headed Dwarf grinned as he pulled Tarian closer, saying, "Yes. Though will Keldon recover?"

Tarian's knuckles turned white as he glared past the messenger. With a stilted breath, he answered, "The doctor doesn't think so." Forcing his hands open, Tarian gripped Harbek's shoulder, "Do you all know anything about his attacker?"

Harbek frowned placing the tip of his ax on the floor. Leaning against his weapon, he replied, "No, we don't." Slamming the ax head on the floor, he growled, "We came to see what you knew."

"Have you heard anything from the elves?" Tarian whined, closing his eyes.

"No," Harbek answered. "They've been less than helpful."

"What do you mean?" Tarian asked, cracking his eyes apart. Tightening his grip, he inquired, "You're not suggesting the Elves are behind this."

Shaking his head, Harbek grumbled, "No." Looking past Tarian, the Dwarf continued, "We wanted you to know Fitik has suffered at these cowards' hands."

"Fitik championed this alliance because he didn't want the Elves to show you up," Tarian said rubbing at his eyes.

"Aye," Harbek grunted. "But don't worry, Fitik's recovering."

"It wasn't a serious injury?" Tarian asked as he lowered his hands.

"I didn't say that," Harbek muttered.

Lifting an eyebrow, Tarian asked, "If it's severe, how will he survive?"

Thumping his chest, Harbek grinned, "We're tougher than you, Tarian."

Rubbing his chin, Tarian inquired, "Can we take a blood sample to see if you all have an immunity to this thing?"

Harbek ran his tongue over his teeth. With a grunt, he answered, "Keldon is a good man. I'll do what I can to help," Stepping in front of Tarian, Harbek finished, "If you think it can help, you may have some of my blood."

Tarian's eyes darted around the gathered Dwarves. He pulled Harbek away from the others and asked, "Can we get a sample of Fitik's blood?"

"Why?" Harbek asked.

"Did this mysterious stranger attack him?"

"As far as we can tell," Harbek answered.

"Then his blood might hold the key," Tarian whispered.

"I can't speak for him," Harbek drawled. "But I'll see if I can procure a sample of his blood."

"Thank you," Tarian whimpered, pulling the Dwarf into a hug.

As Tarian released the Dwarf, the doors flung inward, and Variel glided into the room. He strode over to Tarian and produced a vial. Handing it over, he said, "I've heard of the attacks."

Lloyd leaned against the door and cried out, "Variel wants to talk with you, Tarian."

"Thank you, Lloyd," Tarian said as he took the vial. Lifting it, he asked, "What's this for?"

"The vial should help to inoculate and cure those stricken by these newest monsters," Variel replied.

Harbek coughed and gnashed his teeth, demanding, "How long have you had that?"

"We developed the cure after capturing one of the creatures," Variel said to Tarian as he ignored the Dwarf.

"How much will help?" Tarian asked his eyes sparkling.

"A single drop," Variel answered.

Nodding Tarian addressed Harbek, "If you'll excuse me, I need to test this."

Harbek nodded and resumed sharpening his weapon.

Tarian rushed for the door, shouting, "If it works, we'll send some of it with you to help your people."

Rushing back to the infirmary, Tarian grabbed Dalton and forced him to administer the potential cure. Within moments Keldon's eyes snapped open, and he gasped for air. When he stilled, Keldon mumbled, "What happened?"

"We hoped you could tell us," Tarian responded.

Keldon shook his head, "The last thing I remember is passing by a couple of elves on the way back."

Tarian frowned, but he waved the comment away. "Don't worry about that, right now you need to rest."

Closing his eyes, Keldon replied, "That I can do."

Tarian held out his hand, silencing the doctor, and swiftly returned to the main hall. He thanked Variel, and as soon as the elf left, Tarian grabbed Harbek's arm, saying, "We need to talk."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you enjoyed this story, consider checking out my Patreon site for more flash fiction

https://www.patreon.com/stevenpmeehan