Forging Alliance

Lloyd walked over to Tarian, "The Dwarves are obliterating the back ranks of the enemy."

Tarian shifted the telescope towards the back ranks, and he saw the Dwarven warriors slice through the rear ranks of the horde. Relief washed over Tarian as he slouched upon the top of the wall, "The Elves and the Dwarves arrived just in time."

"What are we going to have to give them?" Sherry asked through her fingers.

Lloyd glowered at her, commenting, "The middle ranks of the enemy are falling to the Elven arrows as quickly as the ones under the Dwarven weapons."

"That's my problem," Sherry retorted thrusting her arms behind her back.

"Oh, give me a break," Lloyd muttered.

"Lloyd, this is serious," Sherry said with a shrill to her words. "I can't be the only one afraid that they'll turn on us."

Standing up from the crumbling wall, Tarian turned around, putting a hand on Lloyd's and Sherry's shoulder. "Sherry, we needed help, and they answered our call." With a gentle squeeze, he whispered to her, "Look upon the battlefield. It's taken all our collective power to eradicate this scourge."

"Tarian, we can't trust them," Sherry pleaded in a whisper.

"We don't have the luxury to isolate ourselves," Lloyd chastised her matching her whisper.

"Agreed," Tarian declared for anyone on the wall to hear. Turning back to look upon the battleground, Tarian lifted the telescope to his eyes. "The remnants of the horde are retreating. Lloyd gather the most rested of the defenders and bring them down to the gate."

"What for?" Sherry asked with a huff.

Collapsing his telescope Tarian slipped it into a pocket, "We're going to burn the filth that's cluttering the field and offer any aid to those who fell helping us survive."

Lloyd tapped his fingers to his brow, "On it, Tarian." The quartermaster gave Sherry a self-satisfied smirk before disappearing through a doorway.

"Please, Tarian, I don't trust these things," Sherry implored.

"Stay here, Sherry," Tarian said, squeezing her shoulder. "We all do what we must, and right now, this is what we have to do."

"Fine," Sherry muttered bowing her head.

"I want you to start identifying what needs to be repaired," Tarian commanded. "And have the scientists figure out what they need to make some explosives." Tarian lifted Sherry's chin as he softened his voice, "I want to restock our defenses. I want to be able to defend these walls from whoever attacks us next. Is that understood?"

"Yes, Tarian," Sherry said as she turned to follow him.

The two started walking down the stairs parting at the base. Sherry wandered deeper into the complex while Tarian strode for the gates. When he came within twenty feet of the entrance, Tarian commanded, "Open the gate."

The pair standing by the gate opened it, letting Tarian exit as three soldiers flanked him. Tarian swallowed the dry lump in his throat as he trod upon the corpses of the monsters littering the ground. As he continued to walk away from the wall, two groups began walking towards him. As they came closer, Tarian recognized Keldon, Caleb and a Dwarf, making the other figure one of the elves.

"Tarian," Caleb cried, quickening his pace.

Tarian waved at the four approaching men while lengthening his own stride. He embraced Caleb muttering, "Thank you, Caleb."

"My pleasure," Caleb replied. "Though," he hedged, stepping to the side. "The thanks belongs in part to, Fitik and the Dwarves.

"And to Variel and his Elven warriors," Keldon added, offering his hand to Tarian.

Tarian grinned and clapped Keldon's back as he pumped his friend's hand. "Of course," Tarian disentangled himself from his men and positioned himself before the leaders of the Elves and Dwarves. With a deep bow, Tarian said, "Thank you both for coming to our assistance."

Fitik barked a laugh sauntering over to Tarian. He slapped Tarian's back, saying, "Are you kidding me? We always enjoy a chance to wipe out," Fitik drawled while he spread his hands out, drawing everyone's attention to the littered corpses. "These filthy creatures," Fitik said with a wide grin.

"Thank you," Tarian said, clapping the Dwarf's back.

Gliding over to Tarian, Variel spoke with eloquence, "The praise for bringing me and my brethren here belongs to Keldon."

Glancing over at Keldon, Tarian asked, "What does he mean?"

Coughing into his hand, Keldon mused, "Well, I... got them interested in joining the fight."

Melodic laughter filled the battleground. Tarian swept his head around and found that they were surrounded by laughing elves rapidly piling up the remains of the siege. Variel stepped closer, saying, "I apologize for that. My fellows couldn't help but overhear Keldon's comment."

Tarian eyed Keldon, "Variel, why did they laugh at his response?"

"Simply put, Tarian, Keldon shamed us into coming to assist," Variel answered with a bow. "Though after seeing your people's strength and determination, I regret that Keldon was forced to resort to such tactics."

Tarian winked at Keldon before he turned to face the elf. With a step, Tarian offered his hand to the elf, "We still thank you for your assistance."

Variel stared at the offered hand before taking it in his own, "Your welcome."

Tarian's smile widened as he positioned himself between his new allies, "Come I insist that we have a feast together to celebrate this victory over this world's menace."

"It's about time you got to the celebration," Fitik barked as he loosed his own broad grin. "Though I have to oversee the burial of my fallen."

"My men will assist you," Tarian said promptly. "Caleb, Lloyd should be sending out the most rested shortly, go collect half of them and assist Fitik." Tarian shifted his attention to Keldon, "I need you to gather the other half and assist the Elves." Turning back to his counterparts, Tarian continued, "Once we have seen to our duties, we shall feast and celebrate this day."

"Agreed," Variel replied melodically.

"As it should be," barked Fitik.