You're right, I am. Do you need me to pick up Charlie and take her to Brittany's?

I shook my head and instantly replied.

No, it's okay. She is still sleeping peacefully, let her. She seemed to have a good night. Let her stay the day and we'll see you after you get off of work.

I placed my phone back on the counter and looked at the clock on the microwave. By the time I finished cooking breakfast Charlie should probably be awake and if not I would wake her up. I grabbed a frying pan and started working on the bacon knowing that it was going to take the longest to cook.

I opened one of the windows in the kitchen to circulate some air when I heard a truck pull into the driveway and instantly head towards the fields. Hopefully the animals would take it easy on him since we were about an hour and a half behind schedule. I turned the bacon to make sure it wouldn't burn when my phone went off again.

Sorry, I was driving to work. I'll leave my phone on if you need anything. My boss understands the situation. So, text me if you need anything.

I didn't bother texting back as I sat my phone back on the counter and focused on breakfast. Soon I had finished the eggs and bacon and placed them in the oven to stay warm. I took another sip of my coffee and listened for noise through the house. Charlie still wasn't awake yet. I furrowed my brow as a I sat my coffee down and made my way through the house.

I opened the door to Charlie's bedroom to find her still sleeping peacefully on her bed. I smiled as I walked in quietly and sat on the edge of her bed. I reached out and placed a hand gently on her shoulder. "Charlie, hey.....hey princess. It's time to get up," I whispered softly while gently shaking her shoulder.

Her eyes barely opened as she looked at around the room. Confusion was written all over her face. "Hey darling, do you know where you are?" I asked her hoping that she wasn't about to freak out that she didn't wake up to her mom. She pushed the covers back and dove into my lap, clinging to my neck. "Well good morning to you too, baby girl," I chuckled as I wrapped my arms around her.

She buried her face in my neck as I stood up and made my way towards the kitchen. "Not a morning person?" I asked her. She shook her head and I smiled. "Just like your momma," I said as I sat her on the counter in the kitchen. "You sit here while I get us some breakfast, hungry?" I asked her.

She nodded but didn't say a word as she pushed her hair out of her face. I grabbed the eggs and bacon out of the oven and started plating it up. I took it to the table and came back to Charlie still sitting on the counter. I held my arms out to her and she jumped into them, clinging tightly to me.

I placed her in a chair at the kitchen table and sat across from her. I stared at her as she looked at her plate. Did she need help eating? Did I have to cut something up for her? "Something wrong?" I asked her as I grabbed a forkful of eggs. She grabbed her fork and poked at her plate a couple of times.

"I don't like bacon," she said. The fork stopped halfway to my mouth as I stared at her. She didn't like bacon? How could she not like bacon? I placed my fork back down on my plate. "I'm sorry, squirt. What do you like?" I asked as I grabbed her plate. I wasn't going to force her to eat it. She hopped down from her chair and followed back into the kitchen where I scraped her plate into the trash.

She smiled up at me. "Pancakes!" she exclaimed. I chuckled as I reached into a cabinet and pulled out some boxed pancake batter. "I think I can handle that," I said as I grabbed a bowl and a mixing spoon. Charlie scooted a stool over to where I was at and stood up on it so she was tall enough to reach the counter now.

"I always help momma mix the pancakes," she said as she reached for the spoon. I frowned but handed it over to her as I started the stove back up to cook the pancakes. I still had so much to learn about her. I turned and Charlie handed the bowl of the mixed batter to me. I couldn't remember the last time I had let alone made pancakes.

Charlie helped me flip the pancakes and soon we were sitting back at the table and she was happily digging in. I smiled wondering how something so simple could make her so happy. Charlie and I finished our breakfast and I sent her off to get dressed as I washed the morning dishes.

She joined me back in the kitchen soon dressed and ready for the day. "Want to go out and see the animals?" I asked her. She nodded and we headed towards the door. I grabbed the keys to the truck again and followed Charlie out the door. She was already by the passenger door waiting for me by the time I made it outside.

I opened the passenger door and helped Charlie inside before walking around to the driver's side and getting in beside her. She bounced up and down on the bench seat excitedly as I rolled down her window so she could enjoy the fresh air outside. I rolled down my window too before taking off down the dirt road that lead to the fields.

Charlie giggled loudly as the wind whipped through her hair as we made our way down the bumpy dirt road. I saw Travis, my farm hand, out in the middle off the field feeding the cattle. I stopped my truck near his and hopped out. "Stay here for a second, Charlie," I said as I hopped out of the truck.

A couple of the cows  turned towards me but quickly lost interest when they noticed I didn't have food. "Hey man," I said as I greeted Travis at the back of the truck. He took off his hat and wiped his brow as he turned to me. "Hey there, how's your morning?" he asked as he grabbed some hay for the cattle.

I helped him get the bale down and break it open to spread it out for the animals. "No offense, and it's none of my business, but why did you need me this morning?" he asked as he shut the tailgate to his truck and leaned against. I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. Was I really ready to tell this? I didn't want the information getting in the wrong hands.

I smiled and shook my head slightly as I pointed towards my truck. Charlie was hanging out the window trying to get the attention of some of the cows but they were too interested in their food. "That's Charlie, and she's my daughter," I said as I turned back to Travis who had a shocked look on his face.

"No shit, man. Since when did you have a munchkin?!" he asked still staring intently at Charlie. I chuckled nervously. "Almost five years ago. I just learned about her recently," I said. Travis's face went from shock to confusion to hurt. "I'm sorry, Jeff. I know that's never the easiest, but maybe you can make up for lost time," he said as he headed for the driver's side of his truck.

I nodded as I looked back at Charlie. Alexander, one of the cows, was heading towards our truck. "Yeah, I'll tell you more about it some other time. I'll pay you double for today. I better get over there before Alexander tries to climb in the truck," I said. Travis patted my shoulder before we split apart.

I let out a piercing whistle. Alexander's head turned. He knew that whistle all too well. His big eyes met mine and he came running at me like a huge playful puppy. "Woah there, big guy," I said holding up my hands. Alexander stopped and snorted towards me before letting out a big moo.

I smiled and walked slowly towards him. I reached out and pet him before turning to look at Charlie who was hanging out the truck window, but she had a terrified look on her face. I chuckled and walked towards her. "It's alright. He's like a giant puppy. He won't hurt you," I said as I reached for her.

I pulled her out of the truck window and walked with her in my arms towards Alexander. "He's huge," Charlie said. I reached out and pet Alexander again. Charlie hesitantly reached out with me and pet his cheek. She giggled when he turned his head and tried to lick her. She pulled her hand back quickly.

"See, I told you, like a giant puppy," I said. Alexander got bored of scratches and walked off following his friends through the field. I went and placed Charlie back in the truck before getting back in the driver's side and startin the truck. Charlie scooted across the bench seat to sit right next to me.

"Let's go see the ducks and the chickens. Those are a little more your size," I said as I turned the truck around and headed towards the barns. Charlie leaned her head against my arm and I wrapped it around her. She had the brightest smile on her face and it made me smile too. I could get used to this.

--

Predictions?? I really liked this chapter! I like how it has little dialogue and it's all from Jeff's perspective!

Comment, vote, fan, follow, add to reading list, spread the word! Reedus kisses for everyone! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx