Chapter 28

*Now Ronnie's POV*

I pulled into my driveway and shut off the car. I looked in the rear view mirror. A frown formed instantly on my face. It was odd to not have Charlie in the back seat waiting to go inside with me. I opened my car door and stepped out. I grabbed my bag and got out of the car, walking into the house.

I shut and locked the door behind me before dropping my bag on the kitchen counter. The house was quiet. I wasn't used to it. I walked through the house trying to find something to do. The living room was a little cluttered from a busy work week so I decided to tidy it up a bit to keep myself distracted.

I straightened up some shoes and some blankets when I came across one of Charlie's favorite toys. I sat down on the arm of the couch and clutched the toy to my chest. I held back the tears as I pet the toy almost like it was a puppy. I quickly wiped away one tear that slipped out before standing up and taking the toy to Charlie's room.

I shut the door to her room before heading into my bedroom and straight to the conjoining bathroom. I started the bath and checked the temperature before grabbing some bubble bath and squirting some in the water. Lavender instantly filled my nose and helped me relax. I went back to the kitchen.

I grabbed a beer out of the fridge and cracked the cap off on the counter top before taking a huge drink of it. I walked back to the bathroom and put the beer on the counter. I grabbed my phone out of my pocket and looked at it. It was a little past eight. Charlie should be heading to bed soon, at least I hoped.

I turned off the water and stripped my clothes. I put my beer and phone on the edge of the tub making sure both were close, before sinking into the tub. I went all the way under and held my breath as long as I could before I came back up for air. I sucked in all the air that I could and pushed my hair out of my face.

I sat back and let my back and head rest against the wall of the bathtub as I closed my eyes. I grabbed my beer from the edge of the tub and took another drink. Between the alcohol and the hot bath if I wasn't careful I could easily fall asleep. I grabbed my phone and clicked on the music tab, letting it fill the quiet bathroom.

We used to lay in bed all tangled up
But now we sleep on separate sides
We don't talk but still we call it love
It's like we're leading different lives
Can you push away when I hold you close?
Say it to my face if you wanna go
Or if you're gonna fight for me, let me know
'Cause I don't wanna lose you this way

I quickly hit skip on the song. It haunted me with memories. Memories that I didn't want to be thinking about right now. I hit the skip button a few more times just to see what music would come on. I laid back in the tub and took another sip of my beer as another song came on through my phone.

Cause lately you make me weaker in the knees
And race through my veins baby every time you're close to me
Take me away to places I ain't seen
They say you've got a hold on me
And I won't disagree

"Fuuuuck," I breathed as I submerged myself back under the water trying to get everything out of my head. Under the water everything sounded like it was in a tunnel. I could still hear the music playing but it was muffled. I broke the surface of the water as soon as I ran out of breath. That's when my phone started to ring.

~~

*Jeffrey' POV*

Charlie and I were sitting outside around a small fire. Surprisingly as soon as Ronnie left I was expecting Charlie to have a meltdown, but she didn't. She played with a lot of new toys in her room while waiting on the pizza to be delivered. After having some pizza we went out back and started a fire.