Chapter Five

Days passed. Or perhaps it was months.

Violet had lost track of time altogether. It was pointless. They weren't getting out any time soon. They weren't going to see mother again. No matter how much hope her sisters held, Violet knew the truth. She never said anything, but she knew. Mommy-Melody wasn't coming back for them.

The room was quiet, apart from Omega's light snores and Beta's tail swaying as she dreamed.

Alpha sat in her cage, her eyes glued to the window that looked into the other room.

Violet shifted in her cage, not getting up but also trying to figure out what her sister was looking at.

"I know you're awake," Alpha whispered.

Violet's body stiffened. "I never pretended I wasn't." She sat up slowly. Her muscles ached from lying in the same position for days. "What are you looking at?" She craned her neck to the left, trying to see through the window. She didn't have the best viewpoint, whereas her sisters did.

"The fleshies are doing something," Alpha's eyes moved as she watched.

"They are?" Violet tried more eagerly to see, but all she could make out was a small area around where those little white creators had hatched.

"They seem to be panicked."

Within moments, the Doctor and two other fleshies rushed past the window and into the room. The lights flicked on, waking Beta and Omega.

The Doctor moved around the room, stuffing idents into his white coat's pockets. He unplugged a small device from one of the blinking screens, "I'll get the data, you two get blood."

Without giving Violet or her sisters time to think, the two fleshies grabbed long rods with needles at the end. They weren't gentle, not this time. The needle jabbed into Violet's leg, and she cried out. Blood filled the long vial, and Violet felt light-headed. When had she last ate?

When the needle was removed, the fleshies removed Violet's blood from the needle and replaced it with an empty one. After all four raptors had blood drawn, the vials were handed over to the Doctor.

He accepted them and put them in a case. He then shut it and looked towards Violet and her sisters. She made eye contact with Violet. "kill them,"he ordered.

At first, she thought he was talking to her. Kill them? Who?

But then a load sound hit her. She jumped, suddenly filled with energy and on high alert. Beta and Omega cried in the cages next to her, but she heard nothing from Alpha.

"Alpha?" Violet tried to look past her sisters' angry and fearful faces. Beta was trying to reach through the bars to claw her way into the fleshies. Omega was slamming her body into the door of her cage. It was startling. Violet had never seen her sisters so unhinged.

Then she saw why.

On the floor of the cage, farthest from Violet was Alpha's body. She was limp looking. Violet would have thought she was sleeping if it wasn't for the red whole between her eyes and blood oozing out onto the ground.

Violet's heart dropped into her stomach. Her body trembled.

A click caught Violet's attention. She focused on the fleshies. One of them held something in his hand. It was pointed at Beta's head. Beta didn't seem to notice or care; she was too busy releasing screams so loud they could break glass.

"Beta!" Violet cried out.

Beta let out another angry cry.

Violet squeezed her eyes shut, waiting for the load noise to come again. But it didn't. Instead, the fleshlings both screamed in agony. Violet opened her eyes to see Delta. She was standing over the flashings, ripping into them with her teeth and claws. The fleshies moved around, their arms flailing, as they tried to push Delta off them. But it was no use. Delta took bites out of one and then the other, making them immobile and seemingly easy prey.

Violet tore her eyes from the scene to see both Beta and Omega watching with hungry eyes. She then scanned the room and found that the Doctor had already left.

Delta stepped away from the still-living prey. Both men tried to shuffle away. "It's good to see you're all still alive." She looked over at Alpha's body, "mostly all of you, that is."

"What's happening?" Beta asked, her body shuttered, but her voice stayed firm.

"A white monster has come to exterminate the fleshies," Beta stated. She walked around the room, her tail swaying and hitting things. Sparks flew, but she paid no attention to them. When her tail hid a small box attached to the wall farthest from the cages, a loud beepsounded, and the cage doors opened. Delta grinned, revealing bloodstained teeth. "I'm going to join my sisters and the white beast. You three feed. You'll need your energy."

Beta and Omega didn't need to be told twice. They dug into the humans who tried to escape. Violet wasn't sure if they were the same fleshies who tormented them for so long, but she liked to believe that they were and that her sisters were getting revenge for more than just Alpha's death.

Alpha.

Violet exited her cage and went to Alpha's. She stepped inside the small space and bent down. She sniffed the blood-soaked body. Her sister's sent was no longer familiar. No longer that of her oldest sister. She nudged Alpha's body with her snout, hoping she would move. Hoping this wasn't the end. But nothing happened. The body fell back into place with every gentle push.

Violet turned back to ask Delta for help, but the raptor was already gone. A fleshie's screams echoed down the hall, signalling her next kill.

Violet inhaled sharply through her nose and laid down next to the body of her fallen sister.

What would they do now?