Chapter Four

Time passed slowly. Violet and her sisters sat in their cages, hour after hour, day after day. It was hard to know how much time has passed, how many needles had punctured their skin, how many flashies they took chunks from.

"They have to let us out eventually," Alpha would encourage, "We should just do as they wish." She quickly became the favorite of the man in white. Delta tried to follow Alpha's lead, but the pain of the long needles was too much for her to handle. Delta's body would jolt and twitch, causing the needles to leave scars along her thighs, underbelly, and even a few around her eyes.

Omega fought back the most. She often had to be sedated to get any blood taken or drugs administered. More men had lost limbs to Omega than to any of the other raptors.

Violet tried to be strong like Alpha and Beta. There were times that she even tried Omega's tactic. But as the days grew longer and the cage became smaller, Violet sunk deeper and deeper into her mind. She showed signs of depression; she seemed unphased by anything the fleshies outside the cage did, she wouldn't eat, didn't even wince at pain, and she limited her communication with her sisters. Even though the four were in the same room, she felt worlds apart. All hope of leaving this place seemed pointless. They weren't going outside. They would die in these cages.

"It's happening!" The man in white exclaimed, "They're hatching!"

The sound of thin shells cracking caught Violet's attention. How long had it been since she even stood? Violet lifted herself and looked through the bars of her cage. There was a large window that peered into another room. In that room, there was a strange table with two eggs on it. The eggs moved ever so slightly.

"What are those?" Violet asked, curious.

"Oh look, she's alive," Omega grumbled from her cage.

Alpha and Beta stood too.

"Eggs," Alpha answered. "I predict that they're the creatures the doctor needed our blood to create."

Doctor? Is that what the fleshie in white was? What did that word even mean? What had she been missing in the time spent here?

"Do you think it's a threat?" Beta asked, tilting her head.

One of the small white-scaled creates broke out of its egg, followed by the other. They cried out, and the fleshies picked them up carefully.

"I'm unsure," Alpha answered again. 

The needles became less and less frequent after the two small white ones were born. Violet tried not to get her hopes up, but it was hard when her sisters were going on and on about how good like would be once they were allowed to see their fleshie mother again.

Every time someone entered the room, the three would get so excited. Alpha would jump around in her cage. Beta would wag her long tail, the sound of it hitting the bars was load and deep. Omega would hiss with joy. But Violet would just lay there, watching as the fleshie would come and then leave. Sometimes they came in to grab something, other times it would be for feedings, and there was even the odd time that fleshies would come in just to tease the raptors. And every time they would leave, Violet's sisters would slump down onto the floors of their cages in disappointment, but it wouldn't stop them from getting all worked up the next time someone came in.

One night, when the lights were out, and Violet and her sisters were sleeping, someone entered the room. The single light, at the working station, flicking on was enough to wake Violet. She opened her eyes but didn't move.

"I can't believe she ate her sister," someone said. Violet remembered him as one of the Doctor's helpers.

The Doctor walked over. "Yes, well, she is a hunter. It's only natural for her to want to hunt and kill."

"But her own sister?"

"The Indominus Rex is a new species. She's still learning what she can and can't do. Killing her sister was clearly someone she could do. Now grab those files before you wake one of the raptors."

"Yes, sir."

The two left shortly after.

Violet closed her eyes again. Maybe being stuck in a cage away from that little white monster wasn't so bad.