Chapter Ten

The sun hung low in the sky. Its rays warmed Violet's scales, even as she laid in the shade. She swore she could smell the sun. Its fiery rays reached out to her, wrapping her in a cocoon of flaming comfort. It was nothing like before. Nothing like how she felt growing up. The cold cement floors and bright lights were nothing compared to lush grass and a soft breeze.

That didn't mean she didn't miss it. She missed her Mommy-Melody. Missed being praised and petted. But it had been so long ago now that it felt almost like a dream. A surreal reality that she only knew was the truth because of the buildings left behind.

Yawning, Violet stretched. She moved to her feet and looked up at the sun. It had set bellow the trees now, but blazing oranges and yellows still painted the sky. She had time to go for a run. The others were probably still napping from their feed.

Violet set off towards the coast. She started in more of a trot, but as soon as the sound of crashing waves could be heard, she sprinted. Weaving through trees, Violet broke out into the open air. Saltwater glazed her body and made its way up her nose. She licked the corner of her mouth, then shook her head.

The water was lower than usual. Little islands were visible, but not quite surfaced enough to stand on. They trailed out as far as she could see. Along the horizon was a large blue mass. Were the little land clumps a path to it? Would there be others like her there?

She crouched down, eager to explore but not brave enough to jump into the water below. How would she even get there? Surely the waves would be too strong.

"What are you doing?" Omega's voice was barely heard over the roaring of the waves below. She stepped out of the tree line. Her tongue peeked out from her mouth and she scuffed, shaking her head in disgust. "What is that?"

"Dark water," Violet states. It wasn't as clear and yummy as the water at the watering whole. This water was deep and black and made the air taste bad. But she loved it.

"Why are you over here? Blue sent me to get you and you were gone from your usual spot."

Violet sits, eyes fixated on the blue blob in the distance. "What do you think that is?"

Omega snarled as Violet sat. She looked into the distance. "I don't see anything."

She didn't Was Voilet's eyes playing tricks on her? Maybe it was due to how low the dark water was today? Maybe the blob would leave when the water rose, just like the little islands.

"It's time to go, Violet." Omega turned. "Don't make Blue wait. She seemed rather impatient today."

Violet glanced at her sister, then at the blob one last time. She got up and followed Omega back into the thick trees and crisp air. Both of them shook their bodies. Violet tingled from the dark water that coated her. It smelt nice now that it wasn't attacking her nose.

Omega enters the cave first and curls up in her usual spot.

Blue paces in the middle of the cave.

Beta's eyes follow Blue's heavy feet.

Violet sits. "What's going on?"

Blue bares her teeth, glaring at the floor of the cave. "They're back. The fleshies are back."