14

Logan glanced around at his other classmates but his mind wasn't really focusing on anything. Psychology wasn't managing to keep his attention at all. The only thing in class that did was the man beside him. Patton Harris... The best friend and caretaker of Virgil Graves... Logan's suspected Anxiety.

Logan had signed up for Psych to be able to get more knowledge on the mind and help Roman. He didn't know why Patton had signed up, but if he had to guess it was probably for Virgil. Virgil... the boy that lives with him. The boy who even if he isn't Anxiety does have an obviously violent side to him. Logan realized this as he recognized those eyes. That look... the look Roman has when he spoke about his love. They even said similar things.

'I never let them go.' Logan frowned as he glanced over at Patton who was writing in his notebook. This... 'panic room' of Virgils... It's obviously more than just what he implies. Seeing as how Patton keeps asking about it, it has to be important. The way it seemed it was like it was Virgil's... no... Anxiety's kill room. If that's true than Patton had to know that Virgil was Anxiety. Is Patton safe? 

"Hey, Kiddo... you seem distracted." Logan snapped out of his thoughts to see Patton looking over at him with a sad smile. "Is everything alright?"

"Everything is satisfactory." At least with Logan, it was. Roman and Virgil were two other people entirely and Logan didn't know if Patton was ok. As the class when on Logan was finding it harder and harder to focus. He had to confirm his thoughts. But most importantly he had to figure out what he wanted. If he was wrong, nothing changes and he continues to assist Roman as he has been for years now. But... if he was right... would he still continue knowing the man Roman fell for was a serial killer or...

...would he protect Roman's heart by breaking it first.

"... project is half your credit." Logan snapped out of it the moment he heard that. What had he missed? Patton giggled beside him as he tapped the paper in front of him. He really wasn't paying attention. "It's due May 17th. I will not be accepting it any later. Now... Choose a partner."

"Hey, Lo?" Logan glanced over as Patton scratched the back of his neck. "Do you think we could be partners?" Logan's eyes widened as a small smirk played on his lips. This was perfect. By getting closer to Patton he could, in turn, get closer to Virgil. He could get all his answers without to much trouble. It was the perfect opportunity. "It's just I don't really know anyone else and..."

"It's quite alright, Patton. I find us partnering to be... advantageous, at the very least." Patton scrunched his nose a bit in confusion and Logan was taken back by how childlike he looked. 

"That's a good thing, right?" Logan nodded and Patton beamed writing both their names on the sheet he had. "Good. So this project is about asking a question like do colors affect our mood and finding an answer. I like that question actually."

"Yes, but I guarantee several people are already going to be doing it out of laziness." Logan groaned as he looked around seeing several groups already writing things down. "Then you have the overachievers who'll go above and beyond only to come up short because they bit off more than they can chew." Patton narrowed his eyes in confusion as Logan turned back to his paper. "We'll need people to help with our experiment and I do agree that the questions provided are a bit easier to do so... why not this one?" Logan pointed to a question a little further down and Patton beamed. "It easy and similar to the last one plus far enough down that most if not all won't even have seen it.

"Virgil could help with that one!" Logan jumped a bit at the other's enthusiasm. "I bet he would even love to help with it. The kiddo got plenty to choose from. He even as all these special playlists... I'm so excited!" 

"I can see that." Logan smiled softly as Patton giggled writing everything down in happy bliss. That was until his mind caught up with him and he frowned again. "Speaking of Virgil. Is everything ok with you... and him?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you guys live on your own, yes?" Patton nodded making Logan's chest tighten a little in nerves. "I was just wondering if you guys were ok. Not many live on their own and for someone with VIrgils... quirks..." Patton's eyes flashed a bit and Logan paused. He could see Patton sigh a little before resuming his happy smiling. "Is everything ok?"

"Well, it's not perfect, Lo. Virgil struggles in his own right and I sometimes have trouble keeping up but... We're both safe and happy so it could be worse. We keep each other safe. Me more so than him." Logan narrowed his eyes as Patton laughed softly. "Virgil's protective, even more so than I am. He goes out of his way to make sure I'm safe. I just wish the kiddo could relax but with everything he went through... I know that won't be easy. Even still, I try my best."

"You said he's protective?" Patton's eyes narrowed a tad as Logan tensed. "How so?"

"Oh, you don't need to..."

"I've dealt with... protective people before Patton." Patton's eyes darkened as Logan tried to offer a smile. "I still do. You don't have to worry about me not understanding."

"Trust me, Lo..."

"Trust me, Patton." Patton paused as Logan glanced around the place with a neutral gaze. "There is nothing Virgil could have done that I've not seen, heard about, or have experienced in some way..." Patton face filled with fear and Logan sighed. "Not... not personally but even still... you needn't worry."

"You say that but... you don't know Virgil." Logan took Patton's hand causing the other to meet his eyes and in that moment the two could see the understanding in each other's eyes. Fear and relief filled both their features at the mere idea of someone that understood... that went through it all... that they could talk to and not risk anything with. 

"Are you sure you are safe?" Patton smiled as he nodded.

"I'm the safest I can be with him. I'm like a father to Virgil. He wouldn't let a thing hurt me." Patton's eyes grew dark as he squeezed Logan's hand tighter. "What about you?"

"I believe so." Patton narrowed his eyes as Logan laughed. "You needn't worry. My... brother isn't... hasn't done anything to me."

"Brother?" Logan nodded as the bell rang signaling the end of class. "Logan?"

"Why don't we meet after class at my place?" Patton paused for a second unsure about the sudden subject change. "The sooner we get to this project the better it will be."

"What about..."

"Roman will out. He's got a play and Remus..." Patton only nodded as he started putting things away.

"It's ok, Lo. I just got to let Virgil know so he doesn't get worried."