Slowly, more and more turned and soon nearly the entire room was staring at them.

His hand brushed against hers comfortingly and he stepped forward slightly as though to shield her from some of the attention.

It was quiet, murmurs and whispers wafting through the air.

Enid felt her lungs begin to burn with anxiety.

The worry faded slightly as a man sauntered toward them.

"Alexander! My friend, it has been so long." He exclaimed jovially as he clasped her professor's hand in friendly greeting.

"Indeed. How have you been, Graham?" Dr. Drewitt asked, smirking at the other man.

"Fabulous. Better now that you're back, though. I hate these stuffy events." He joked, pulling at his collar.

The man, Graham, shifted his attention to where she stood and seemed surprised to see her.

"Oh! And who is this little darling? It seems you've caught an angel." He asked, his smile friendly.

"Indeed I have. This is Enid." Dr. Drewitt's hand coming to rest on her back.

She smiled politely at the man and shook his offered hand.

"Are you performing tonight?" Graham asked, shifting his focus back to her professor.

As the two men chatted, Enid glanced around the room and was relieved to find that the majority of the staring had stopped.

A group of women near the stage still looked their way, their poisonous expressions seemingly aimed at her.

Unsure as to what she might have done, Enid simply sent them a sweet smile and a small wave.

Dr. Drewitt's hand on her back urged her forward as one of the most dizzying nights of her life thus far began.

For what felt like hours, they swept around the room, talking to the other fancily clad attendees.

Dr. Drewitt introduced her to each person or couple they came to, but each seemed far more interested in speaking to him than meeting the girl by his side.

Enid understood, he was a world-renowned musician.

She knew that must attract a lot of attention.

She would nod politely along with the conversation and laugh at the appropriate times.

However, her attention would often slip, and she would find herself staring at the man who had brought her.

Although he was being traded around the room like a shiny object, he was nothing but polite and kind.

His tuxedo hugged his strong chest and his brown eyes looked golden near his bow-tie.

It was as though he had his own gravitational force, the entire room seeming to bend in to hear what he had to say.

By the time dinner was served, Enid's cheeks ached from maintain a constant smile.

Dr. Drewitt guided her to a table right in front of the stage and pulled out her chair for her.

She found that Graham was also at their table and he sent her a wink when she looked over at him.

His aura was one of friendliness and an almost older-brother manner surrounded everything that he did.

Enid felt comfortable with him.

Dinner was an elaborate three course meal of things she knew she could not pronounce.