Fire

Happy Monday!

Hope you all enjoy the update!

➳  ➳  ➳

The warmth of his hand and the cold, biting metal of his watch held contrastively against her back.

They reached the faculty parking lot and he guided her wordlessly to a car on the first row.

It was sleek and expensive looking, the outside a rich golden color.

It nearly matched her dress.

Maybe gold was his favorite color.

Enid studied her reflection in the lustrous surface and wondered how much this car must have cost.

She knew little about cars, but what she did know made her realize it must have had quite a hefty price tag.

How much were professors paid?

Well, there was the money he made from concerts, too.

Enid brushed off the curiosity; it was none of her business. 

He opened the door for her, showcasing the equally glamorous interior.

She carefully sat down, making sure the skirt of her dress would not get caught in the door.

When he pressed the button to start the engine, the car came to life with a regal purr.

"I know it's a bit over the top," Dr. Drewitt glanced out the mirror as he began to back up, "but it does get great mileage."

He gave her a cheeky smile as they exited the parking lot.

The trip into the city was exciting for Enid.

All she had seen of America was the airport and then a sleep-hazy car ride to the campus.

Today she was alert and she tried to take in all that she could from the world rushing past her window.

Dr. Drewitt's car was fast, yet quiet.

Soft orchestra music floated through the speakers, making her smile.

As they reached the outskirts of Boston, she stared in wonder at the large buildings that seemed to brush against the sky.

Evening was settling, the sky transforming into softer pinks and blues.

Dr. Drewitt pointed out famous places and landmarks to her as they drove by.

Before long, they pulled into the entrance way of a gorgeous high-rise.

"Stay right there." He told her as he climbed out of the car and passed his keys to the valet.

Dr. Drewitt opened her door for her, offering a hand to assist her in exiting the vehicle.

"This is the Boston Art Gallery." He said quietly into her ear.

They entered through the glass doors and she stared in wonder at the room before her.

The room was large and lit by many ornate chandeliers.

Paintings and sculptures lined the walls, while the center of the room had tables with chairs set up for the attendees of the fundraising event.

A balcony above hosted even more seating and she wondered if the building was a renovated theater. 

Glancing around, she was overwhelmed by the number of beautiful people dressed in ornamental evening wear.

Women in glamorous gowns chatted as men in tuxes watched or joined in.

She followed Dr. Drewitt further into the room, sucking in a breath as eyes began to focus their way.