15. The Aftermath

Sweetie's POV

"Jake, I'm fine," I whine, stumbling over my own two feet as he drags me along the sidewalk.

"I know, I just need to be sure," he responds.

It's the day after the incident in the library, and Jake is being a major pain in the you-know-what. After I got help for Michael - albeit, against Jake's wishes - the police showed up and arrested Jake for aggravated assault. I tracked down Doug, who was reluctant to help him for some reason unbeknownst to me, but all I had to do was turn on the waterworks. He finally agreed to have his dad, who's a cop, bail him out. I know it's manipulative, but when it comes to the person I like, who can blame me?

Not that I like Jake or anything - sure, I like him as a friend, but there's no way that he'd ever like me as anything more than that, so what's the point?

He's currently forcing me to go to Doug's house. Apparently, his mom is a doctor, and agreed to check me for injuries. It's totally unnecessary though! I've only got a few bruises from where Michael grabbed me, and that's it. Jake's acting completely crazy, but he didn't like it when I told him so.

"Please, Jakey, all I have is bruises," I say.

"And I'll kill that fucker for the bruises he gave you, but I need to make sure that you didn't break or sprain anything, either."

"Well, what about you?" I ask. "What if your hand is broken?"

"I know what a broken hand feels like," he says.

I gulp. Sometimes I forget that Jake is rougher with others than he is with me.

"Look, we're here. It'll just take five minutes, and Doug's mom is happy to do it. Please let her help, Sweetie. For me," he pleads, and I eventually nod.

"I just don't want to waste anyone's time," I whisper.

"You're never a waste of time."

I feel my cheeks heat up as Jake knocks on the door.

The freshly painted door swings open to reveal a tall blonde woman dressed professionally in slacks and a blazer. Her warm brown eyes look down at me and crinkle as she smiles, holding out her hand for me to shake.

"You must be Sweetie! I'm Melissa Laberion, Doug's mom."

"It's so nice to meet you, Doctor Laberion! Thank you for agreeing to see me, I really appreciate it, I'm sure you're all kinds of busy and it really means a lot," I gush, admiring her.

Her appearance, house, and general demeanor is just the epitome of put-together.

"It's no problem at all. Come on in, my husband just made a casserole and you just have to try it," she says.

"Thanks, Doctor Laberion," Jake mutters, looking around the living room, gripping my hand as we follow her into the kitchen.

Whatever Doug and Jake are fighting about - if they're in a fight at all - must be
pretty big. He's is the only person Jake seems to like, and now they're not even talking anymore. Doug is currently nowhere to be found, which might just be a good thing, but I hoped to say hello and thank him for his troubles.

I tug on Jake's sleeve, and he bends down to listen to me talk.

"What's up with you and Doug?" I whisper.

"Don't worry about it," he responds.

•••

"Alright Sweetie, you're all good! Call me if you're feeling any pain," Doctor Laberion says, handing me a small card with her name and contact information printed on it in red ink.

"Thanks again!" I smile, giving her a hug. What a nice lady!

"Jake, keep an eye on her," she says, giving him a playful grin.

"Always," he says.

Walking through the door into the cool autumn air, I slip on my coat as I walk with Jake. I look over at him, disappointed when I see a small frown on his face. Maybe his hand really does hurt.

"What's wrong, Jakey?" I ask, nudging his arm with my shoulder.

"I'm just worried about you," he says.

"Why? You heard Doug's mom, I'm a-okay."

"It's not about that, I just - I worry about you. What would you have done if I hadn't shown up to beat his ass?"

"I would've figured something out."

"Like what?"

I stay silent, trying to think. Would I have fought him off? Run away? I tried both of those things, but I wasn't strong enough.

"You would've been raped, Sweetie," Jake finally says, clenching his jaw.

An uneasy feeling settles in the pit of my stomach, making me walk faster.

"Just don't worry about me too much, okay? I'll be more careful next time," I say.

"I'm gonna teach you how to fight."

"You're gonna do what?"

He stops walking and grabs my wrist to make me stop, too.

"You need to learn. It'll set my mind at ease, knowing that you can defend yourself if I'm not there."

"Why do you care, Jake?" I ask, looking down at my boots.

He's clever, relaxed, and cute as all heck. What could he possibly want with me?

"I-I just do, okay? Now come on, I'm freezing my ass off."

Not wanting to push him, I resume walking, letting his hand engulf mine.

I'll get you to open up one day, Jake Harrison.