13. The Friend

Sweetie's POV

"It's Sweetie, right?" a voice sounds from behind me as a large hand is placed on my sleeve-clad shoulder, heat radiating onto my skin through my autumn dress.

As I turn around, I'm met with dark brown eyes and a huge smile, which I graciously return.

"Yes, what's your name?" I ask politely, shaking the hand that has since fallen to his side.

"Michael. You probably don't know me - I'm new here, I recently moved from Shanghai - but I've heard you're really nice, and I was hoping you could show me around."

Okay, that might just be the most amazing thing I've ever heard. People think I'm nice!

"Totally!" I exclaim, excitedly tapping my nails against the plastic covering of my large history textbook. "Where are you from?"

"Here and there. When's lunch? Are you free then?"

I nod, and brief him on the general school schedule.

"Awesome. Do you wanna meet me in the library? It must be quiet there during lunch, maybe we can talk for a second - I've already checked it out, and those tables near the back seem pretty private. Is that cool with you?" he asks with a hopeful smile, and I can't help but smile back.

"See you then!"

•••

I shoot Jake a smile as he passes me in between third and fourth period, ready to greet someone else when he pulls me to the side.

"Uh, who were you talking to earlier?" he asks, scratching at the back of his head and avoiding my eyes.

"His name is Michael! He's come here all the way from Shanghai, but he barely even has an accent. I'm going to show him around during lunch!" I explain, using my extra-nice voice to soothe whatever awkwardness Jake seems to be feeling.

He looks at me quizzically, then opens his mouth as if he's going to say something, then closes it.

"Well, I better get to fourth period then. Mr. Rivera does not accept tardiness! See you later, Jake!"

"Don't go."

I feel a hand on my wrist as the traffic in the crowded hallway thins out, leaving only a few stragglers - a telltale sign that the bell will soon ring.

"Excuse me?" I ask, furrowing my brow and catching his eye.

"It's just - it seems weird, you know, that he would seek you out specifically. I don't trust it. Don't meet with him," he requests - well, really, he demands.

I'm a big believer in being nice, but I don't like being told what to do. Not when I can take care of myself.

"Well, it's awfully nice of you to be concerned, but I can handle myself. See you later, Jake."

The bell rings out, frantic and final. I sigh, knowing that Mr. Rivera will send me straight to the principal. Good thing I bring Principal Jones my world-famous snickerdoodles every Christmas!

"No. At least let me go with you," he bargains.

"He wanted to meet at the back of the library. For privacy. As lovely as you are, Jake, I think he'd rather it be just the two of us. He must be shy."

He lets out a shallow, humorless laugh.

"God, don't you see? That's the first thing someone says when they're going to take advantage of you!"

"He's not taking advantage of me! He's nice, he's new, and I'm going to help him out. Alone," I add, turning on my heel and walking down the hallway, hearing the clang of metal as Jake hits one of the rusted red lockers with an open palm.

Dang it, I'm walking the wrong way.

•••

[A/N: I'm so sorry everyone, it's been so long since i've uploaded. I feel overwhelmed. Thank you for reading. I'm sorry it's such a short chapter.]