Part 27: Please stop.

{MADDIE POV}

"It worked" I say relieved looking at Aaron's leg where the cut once was. "Can you walk?" I asked and he replied with a simple nod. Aaron slowly pushed himself up onto his feet. He seemed unsteady and the feeling of uncertainty hit me....
"Maybe you should stay here a little longer, get some rest?" I suggested looking down at him, while he shakes in discomfort.
"No. I must come with you, I'm not letting you go out there again alone"
"Aar-" Before I could finish he pushed himself forwarded marching towards the entrance of the cave, turning his head to see if I following.

•••••••••
I wasn't sure what time of day it was, I would say it's just gone mid day going by the rising of the sun. We have been walking for a while now, not one word had left our mouths. I've been in thought, thinking about our district hoping I'll get to see it again some day. My mouth was becoming dry and we had ran out of food supplies, it was becoming hopeless, there was no animal or stream in site. That's when I heard it. The sound of branches cracking and the trees whistling in the breeze.
Doing a 360 turn I saw nothing, maybe they were hiding, lurking in the trees to find the right moment to strike. At least there's two of us against one of them.
Hold on.
Where's Aaron? He was no longer behind me. Shit. How could I have been so stupid. My heart was pounding and my head was spinning. What am I going to do? There hasn't been a cannon sound so he's not dead but where is he? When did I lose him. God dammit.
Tracing my footsteps, I head back the way we came, holding my bow tightly in my hand. It felt like I had been walking around in circles, everything looked the same. I couldn't tell which way was the right way. I bring my hand to my face, shaking my head in stupidity.

That's when I feel it.
A hand covered my mouth and an arm snaked around my waist, my eyes widened with fear. Panic was fuelling through my veins now and my legs kicking and thrashing around to get myself free. It was no use. I tried screaming but it was muffled against his hand and worry started to overcome me. "Maddie, sh, Mads it's me... it's Cato" "calm down okay" it took a while for the words to sink in but my body went rigid. His hand slowly moving from mouth as it did so.

I start kicking around but it only made his grip around me tighter. They then pull me closer to them. "Shh.. Mads its okay" I hear Cato whisper. He let's go of me letting me take a few big steps between us picking up my bow and aiming it at him. He takes a step closer to me. "Stay away from me" I spit. He looks hurt at my reaction. "Mads come on" he says taking another step. "Stay away from me Cato" I spit. He takes another step. "you know you cant do it..." He whispers taking another step towards me. I lower my bow slowly staring at him. He comes even closer placing his hand onto my waist. "Don't" I whisper to him but he ignores it and carries on anyway. He was about say something when we hear someone shout. "MADDIE" Aaron shouts. I push Cato away quite hard as he nearly fell.
"MADDIE" he shouts again. I start walking in the direction of his voice. Cato following behind me. "Mads wait... where you going?" Cato asks me. "Where do you think Cato to find Aaron, now go away." I state. He jumps in front of me, blocking my way. "Why you going back to that dork for? He's slowing you down!" He asks, making me glare at him. My fist clenched at my side. "He's my district partner something that you no longer have" I state back making him clench his jaw. "AARON" I yell back. "Hes worthless, a waste of air" Cato says casually. I stopped in my tracks, I rotated my body so fast it took Cato longer to blink, but then he felt it. My hand against his cheek.
His eyes widened and my mouth gawked open at what I had done. His eyes turned black and his face crumpled into a snarl, looking up at me. I couldn't move, locked in my place.
Cato turned around, his back facing me. "Cato... I'm... i-" my hand going for his shoulder unable to find the words. He didn't say a word, pulling out his sword and swinging it in front of my face.
The menacing smirk now evident on his features.
"Go on then Cato.. kill me"
I get no response.

"Kill me, I dare you!"

We stood there in silence but the sound of the cameras preying it's attention on us was clear. I wonder what Izzy thinks of all this.
He lowers his sword. "I can't and I won't" he replies calmly, his eyes going back to their normal colour
"Why?" I ask still looking him. "You know why" and that's when Aaron came into view.

"Get away from her" Aaron yells pushing Cato away from me and onto the floor.
Cato growls at him. "Don't touch her" Aaron spits.

"Aaron it's okay, we can trust him"
Aaron laughed, "us... trust...him?" He said through laughter.
"Ye-" and that's when it happened.