Part 22: Rue?

{MADDIE POV}

Ugh. What the? I open my eyes weakly to the sunlight beaming down on me, I see leaves all over my stings and cuts. My body was aching, stiff, so stiff I wasn't able to lift myself up.
Come on Maddie get up!

Numerous attempts later and im still on the floor, I bet everyone's thinking how weak I am, more than likely laughing at the screen. Like come on.. how is a girl from district 8 going to win the hunger games, if she can't even drag herself of the damn floor?
After what seemed ages, I finally take in my surrondings. I move my head which is banging like mad whilst rubbing it. I then remember where I am, I'm not at home but in the hunger games... I need to stay alert.

I turn my head rapidly to my side making sure my bow is next to me which it is. I let out a sigh of relief until I hear movement in the trees in front of me. I stand up, fast before picking up my bow. There's movement again but this time I saw enough of them to know who it is, I lower my bow. "Rue?" I question gently. She doesn't reply. "Its okay I won't hurt you" I tell her. She pokes her head around the tree and looks at my bow which is against my side. She slowly moves from behind the tree, eyeing my bow with every move. I sit down on the tree trunk in a way of showing her I'm no threat and even waved my hand for her to join me. She stands there, staring, just staring at me, probably thinking on whether to trust me or not. After a couple of minutes she moves.
Slowly walking over to me Rue sits down next to me before I give her a weak smile, which she returns.

"Hi" I say in a gentle whisper unsure on what and how to say anything. "Hi" she replies with a smile. Silence.
"Did you do this?" I say picking off the leaves. She nods. "Yes I saw you lying there unconscious from the tracker jackers the other day so I picked some of these special leaves which I found and put them on you to treat your injuries." She explains. "Thankyou" I say to her, before realising whst she previously said, "the other day?" I ask confused. "erm yes 2 days you've been unconscious, but ive been treating you with the stuff you got from your sponsors" she tells me. I nod slowly taking it all in. I've been a unconscious in the hunger games for 2 whole days? I'm surprised no one has come across me yet and killed me. "Where's the careers?" I ask her. "There at the cornucurpia they've got the boy from 3 working with them, he's helping them set the mines up so it protect the supplies when there not around." She explains. "Ooo... sounds intriguing." I say making her giggle.

Silence.

"What about the boy from my district?" I ask her. "Hes been down near this pond not far from here for a while" she tells me. I nod "Are you hungry?" I ask her. I didnt even wait for her reply before I stood up looking down at her. "Let's go hunt something to eat" I tell her. She nods before being on my tail through the woods.