10.1

note:  Welcome to the final part of The Way Back!!

There are 3 chapters of part 10 + an epilogue and this story will be over

There are 3 chapters of part 10 + an epilogue and this story will be over. Are y'all ready? I don't want to say goodbye just yet :'(

Also, we passed 2k votes!! I'm loving the engagement on this story, so, as usual, feel free to drop your thoughts in the comments and vote of you enjoyed the chapter. Happy reading xx

══ ● ══

Christmas was around the corner and if it couldn't be smelt in the air, it could definitely be seen by all the decorations that had been going up and all the sale signs on shops she'd passed on the way to the cemetery that early Monday morning.

The shops weren't open yet and she had yet to do any Christmas shopping. This year felt different and she wanted to celebrate it properly with her family. Now that there was a pay raise with her promotion to sous chef at work, she ought to buy her sister and father fancier presents.

She was at the shopping centre last week to buy a new dress. Of course, she had to visit all the shops and she had made a mental list of everything she wanted to get which included a couple of items for her sister and father. She even spotted coasters which made her think of Andrew — she had bought a couple for him the last time she went shopping. She momentarily allowed herself to wonder if he still used the coasters or if he had thrown everything of hers out. Neither of them had dared to collect their belongings from each other's flats and London didn't have the heart to throw his things out.

Without even realising it, she had found herself in front of the kids section, her hand reaching for a doll that she thought Aurora would most certainly love. Her hand had paused mid-motion, and then realising what she was doing, she retracted her hand so fast that she almost smacked a stranger who was passing behind her on the same aisle.

She laughed as that memory came to mind, but her glee didn't last for long. Feeling bittersweet, she smiled down at her mother's grave, the fresh yellow tulips staring back at her.

"Everyone is telling me to move forward but I can't. I was moving forward for a while but after Andrew... It's like my life is moving, I am doing well in terms of family, dealing with the loss of you, my career and even my friends. But my love life—" she broke off with a laugh, shaking her own head "—it's a mess. I can't seem to move on however much I try. I've gone on dates. I've let Gwen set me up. I've let my friends set me up and while some of them turned out to be downright arseholes, there were a few good guys. But I couldn't, Mum. Tell me to get my shit together, please."

Her pleas were met with silence.

Sniffing, she looked away, glancing up toward the sky. "Forecast says it'll be snowing tonight. I'll probably go home after work and finish off a book I started two days ago."