1.8

note: last chapter to Part I. Please do you comment on what you think of the story so far. It motivates me to keep writing this <3 

    ══ ● ══   

When London had abandoned the helpless stranger, Andrew Cai, on the road the previous night, guilt had found of a way of weighing quite heavily on her heart. And it certainly did not help that the end of the month was nearing and she had bills to pay. With her salary she could only just afford to keep breathing and live but even then life was a struggle.

In need of solace and nowhere else she could go, she turned towards the dead. She placed the cheap flowers on her mother's grave. She wanted to get the tulips but her budget wouldn't allow it — she'd already spent it this week but that arse, Andrew Cai, had ruined them.

The instant she sat down next to her mother's headstone the tears came rushing out. Good God, she was tired. Completely and utterly worn to the bone. She missed her mother. She missed her sister, who now only had negative feedback to throw at her. She missed her old life, where things flowed and mistakes happened but the magnitude of them didn't seem as large as they did now.

"I want to give up," she sniffed, biting down on her lips as trails of tears stained that pretty fair face of hers. Her dark black hair got momentarily caught within her mouth and she raised her hands, pushing the strays away before another sob broke through.

"Did you know that I worked extra time yesterday because David called in sick? And I won't get paid for that since I'm getting a salary and not getting paid by the hour. Like my salary covers every damn expense of mine!" There were about a million emotions bursting through the dam. "I know I shouldn't have but last night I ordered out and I know I promised myself to stick to the budget, which is why I had to get you these crappy flowers, Mum. Sorry about that. Where was I?"

Frustrated at her own self, she buried her face into her hands, her words getting slightly muffled. "Forget it, what I was getting at was probably stupid."

"Not in the slightest." The voice was familiar but not one she kept in touch with to know it at the back of her mind. It was only when her eyes rose and met a pair of dark stormy eyes did she know that Andrew Cai stood in front of her, a sleek suit on and a hand extended as he offered her his handkerchief. She almost missed the yellow tulips he held in his other hand.

Embarrassed of having been found like this, she took the handkerchief in a haste and wiped her nose as well as her under-eyes, trying to clean herself up. She doubted she looked presentable but this was Andrew Cai. She didn't need to look presentable for him.

"Nice flowers," she commented, trying to keep the bitterness at a minimum but he must have sensed it.

A smile was quick to reach his lips as he extended the bouquet to her. "I believe I promised you that I'd replace your flowers yesterday," he said. The smile playing on his lips was an obvious tell that he didn't feel entirely comfortable but somewhat awkward. Then London had to remind herself that Andrew and her had only made each other's acquaintance for the expanse of a single day, both aware that she knew about his marital problems and status and yet nothing about the other's character. It was bound to be awkward.

"You must be stalking me," she shot back, a playful undertone to her voice that cut through the awkward air which hung around them.

"Unfortunately my stalking skills are a little rusty," he chuckled and London decided, stranger or not, she liked to see any type of smile on his lips. She found them rather...fascinating.

"You expect me to believe that you had no clue I'd be here and you still bought these flowers?" she questioned, eyebrows raised. A serious expression failed her and she found herself smiling back at him.

He shrugged. "Believe what you wish to believe, just London." He jerked his head backwards, in the direction of another grave. "I came to see my aunt since I couldn't properly visit her yesterday, what with me giving my flowers away to you, so I thought I'd do her a proper visit. And, truthfully, I was hoping to bump into you so I took my chance and got the tulips that I ruined yesterday. Or at least I think I did. They look identical."

London stared at Andrew Cai, unable to tell what his words truly meant, unable to differentiate between what her heart and her mind tried to dictate to her.

"You're married," she finally said, settling to state the obvious.

He nodded. "I know," he replied, "Not for much longer by the looks of it."

"Have you talked to her yet?" Her mind told her to run, to not get tangled into whatever mess this was but her heart told her to stay, to help, to see what this mess led to.

"After work," he answered truthfully, "I'm having dinner with her and my daughter. Once Aurora is in bed, I'm going to try and be as civil as I can with my wife."

"Aurora is beautiful name," London said quietly, her words an almost-whisper.

He smiled lightly, a proud brightness filling his eyes. "The name Aurora comes from the mythical Roman goddess of dawn and since my daughter was born around that time, and her cries easily silenced with a lot of sleep, I suggested the name Aurora. My wife loved it so that's how Aurora became Aurora."

It was not a lot to digest but she found herself toeing around the situation. To be involved or not to be? She clearly didn't need any more complications in her life so why she smiled invitingly and held out her hand, saying, "London Wan Liang," was beyond her.

He raised his eyebrows.

"It's not just London, silly," she continued, a smile peeking through her pink lips, "The name's London Wan Liang."

He smiled wide and took her hand. His fair hands were a little rough but they enveloped around hers quite delightfully. His hands were warm against hers and as they continued to smile at each other, something shifted in the air.

Amidst the dead, something new was born.