My mouth formed an O-shape, and I nodded frantically. "Yea-"

"No."

Simultaneously, all three heads snapped to where Xavier sat, his jaw set in powerful resolve. My eyes widened, and I frowned at him, moving my eyebrows around like a mad woman as I silently questioned what he was doing by answering my question for me.

"They did not get her statement." His eyes were set on me as he answered Noah's inquiry, filled with a determination that had my heart racing.

"Why not?" Noah snapped rather rudely.

I was literally begging Xavier with my eyes, shaking my head ever so slightly as to not grab Ariel's attention but also manage to send the message across to Xavier. Don't, I mouthed.

"Because none of what Nora just said happened last night."

It felt as if someone had splashed an ice-cold bucket of water down my back. My jaw hit the floor and I stared at Xavier in pure horror, my throat restricting.

Ariel removed her arm from around me to pull back and search for answers in my facial expression, while Noah clenched and relaxed his fists repeatedly.

"What are you saying?" He hissed dangerously.

Xavier's eyes moved from my shocked ones to Noah. "Last night, Nora was subjected to an attempted kidnapping." Ariel's sharp gasp startled me and I flinched back, she stared at me with horror-stricken, tear-filled eyes. My heart ached with guilt. This was the exact look that I was trying to avoid. I was beyond livid, I felt a sudden impulse to strike Xavier across his perfectly-sculpted face.

"After our date earlier in the day, I had one of my men keep a respectful eye on her for safe measures. He interfered when things got out of control and successfully ended whatever dangers lurked," Xavier finished explaining.

My eyes were now stinging. Noah inhaled sharply and slowly turned around to peek at me. The second his eyes met mine, I felt my world crumbling as my heart clenched. His eyes were so cold and distant, I wished the ground could open up and swallow me whole as my guilt gnawed at my chest.

"Noa-" I called out for him, but he silenced me by turning around swiftly and heading towards the door. I jumped up from my seat, startling Ariel, and rushed to follow behind his steps. "Noah, wait!"

His footsteps came to a sudden halt and I nearly ran into his back. He turned around to face me, his eyes no longer those cozy pair of jade that I grew to love, but instead they held layers of pain resulted from betrayal and disappointment, and I could no longer hold back the tears as they tore through my guard and streamed down my face.

"Please, don't leave," I begged, my voice coming out in a low whisper as it was so close to breaking.

"I'll do exactly what you asked me to do, Nora. I'll back off." He said quietly - and I hated the low tone of his voice, I would've much rather had him yell at me for lying to him, to express his anger and disappointment in me on the spot rather than play the ticking time-bomb that'll explode any second. 

I shook my head fervently. "No, I'm sorry I lied. I didn't want to worry you-"

"Let me spare you the trouble, because you were right; it's your life, you should live it whichever way you please." With that he spared me no second look as he turned to leave through the door. My mouth hung open in pained shock because I could not fight his words in any way. Instead, I stood frozen as I watched the front door get slammed shut and the echo travel across my apartment, feeling like the tenderest part of my heart had been torn out of my chest.

"Nora..." Xavier's voice came from behind me, no doubt trying to play the sympathetic role and comfort me after single-handedly shoving everything in my life downhill. My pain instantly turned into boiling rage, and I spun on my heels so curtly and stomped over to him, stopping a mere foot away.

My index finger shoved at his chest so roughly that I could feel my nail digging into his skin, but of course, he didn't even flinch. "Get. Out." I seethed between clenched teeth.

He shook his head, his palms coming up to defense. "Nora, I-"

"I don't care what you have to say, Xavier. Get out," I spat angrily.

He hesitated again, standing still in his place, and I had to resist the urge to smack him and take all my anger and frustration out on him.

"I think it's pretty clear that you're no longer welcome here, so leave." Ariel's voice sounded as she came up to stand beside me, her arms crossing over her chest as she glared at Xavier daringly.

I was surprised to find Xavier not even sparing a glance her way, his sparkling eyes remained fixated on my own. I stood my ground and raised an eyebrow, waiting for him to make a move.

Eventually, he gave in and took a step to the side. "See you soon, Nora." With that he stalked towards the front door. I couldn't find it in me to give a snarky remark about how he never will, too pained by Noah's departure, and already fishing for ways to make it up for continuously lying to him.

I had never felt like a bigger jerk.

Ariel sensed my unease and gently grabbed my arm, directing me back towards the couch. I sat down beside her, my eyes fixated on the floor and my mind running wild.

"Lying to him like that was wrong, Nora. We all know that," she started. "But we'll find a way to fix it, don't worry."

Having my best friend's support at a time where I deserved it the least did it for me; I broke down into pained sobs and crushed my body into Ariel's, my arms wrapping around her shoulders tightly as she gently reassured me and stroke my hair - the way she always did whenever my damned luck took its toll on me.