Learning to Love

Harry and Alastor had been talking more often. They both felt better to have a confidant. Harry was slowly getting Alastor to open up, and they had built a strong friendship. Alastor explained that Tonks was like a daughter to him, and he always thought she would live longer than him.

Alastor would never truly get over Tonks' death, but he had learnt to deal with the pain a little better. Harry desperately hoped she would come back too, it was heartbreaking to see Alastor struggling do much. He still felt ashamed for being upset, and he still refused to talk about it with anyone but Harry.

Harry felt guilty about not spending as much time with Hermione, so he decided to take her out. They had never liked doing fancy things, so they just agreed to go to Hogsmeade.

Harry spent some time thinking, and decided that it would be more than just a regular date. He was nervous, but it would be worth it.

He needed some advice, so he decided to ask his mum. It was still a big change for him to actually have someone to talk to about certain things. "Hey, mum, I need some advice" Harry said tentatively.
"Of course, what is it" she responded.
"I want to take Hermione out for something special, how should I do it?" he asked hesitantly.
"Oh, that's wonderful darling! Girls like to feel special, so you should make sure she knows how much she means to you. What is it exactly that you want to do?" Harry explained his plans to her, and she was delighted. And before he knew it, it was time.

"Hermione, I have something special planned tonight at eight" he said mysteriously.
"Oh, what is it?" she asked excitedly.
"You'll see. It's in Hogsmeade" Harry grinned. Hermione told him that she was going to get ready, and he went to do the same.

Hermione's P.O.V
She was bubbling with excitement. She hadn't spent time with Harry for a while. Hermione wanted to dress nice, but she had no idea how.

"Hey Lily, Harry is taking me somewhere special tonight!" she said happily.
"That's great! Are you going to dress up?"
"Actually, I was wondering if you would help me get ready. I'm not really used to it"
"I would love to Hermione, you really are beautiful"
"Thanks" Hermione blushed.

Lily then helped Hermione pick a dress and put on make up. She couldn't help but realise that Lily seemed to know something she didn't.

Harry's P.O.V
He was panicking. He wanted to impress Hermione, but he had no idea how. He decided his dad would know about what to do. Harry ran up to him and explained what he was about to do. "Woah, slow down Prongslet! Don't panic, I know how to impress a girl" he said with a smirk. Sirius burst into laughter
"Yeah right! Says the guy with a Pigmy Puff on his head" Sirius said sarcastically.

Some playful bantering later, James was helping Harry find the perfect dress robes. He also showed him his secret weapon. The only hair gel in the world that would work on the famous Potter hair.

It was time. Harry was fidgeting as he waited for Hermione to join him in the entrance hall. When she finally came, she was a breathtaking sight. She looked beautiful. She was wearing a light blue dress with a flowers adorning the front. There was a small bow that wrapped around the centre. Her bushy hair was pulled up elegantly.

"Hermione, you look like a princess" Harry whispered to her.
"Thanks Harry. You look really handsome" she said, just as surprised as he was.
"Shall we go now?" Harry asked.
"Yes, I can't wait to spend the night with you" Hermione said eagerly. Harry took her hand and they walked off into the distance.

When Harry was with her, all his nerves went away. He felt confidant for the first time.

They had a nice dinner together, when Harry took Hermione to the hill they used to occupy so often as children, when they were carefree.

The stars were glittering in the sky, and a cool breeze drifted around them. The grass was waving gently and it tickled their ankles. They looked out towards the rolling hills before them, and Harry got down on one knee, pulling a small box out of his pocket.

Hermione gasped. "Hermione, you have been there for me always. You picked me up when I was down, and helped me when no one else would. I love the way your eyes sparkle even in the most desperate times. I love the way you are determined, and how you always know what to say. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you marry me?" Hermione's eyes were glassy with unshed tears.
"Yes" she exclaimed breathlessly. Harry slipped the thin silver band on her finger hey held each other, and cried. They cried for what they had lost, and they cried for a new beginning.

They looked into each others eyes, unmoving. Hermione pulled Harry into a passionate kiss, which he returned.

After a night of love and joy, they went back to the castle. As they walked side by side through the halls, people looked at them with smiles on their faces. It was the perfect night, and they each had all they could ever have asked for.

The next morning, they awoke to a bang downstairs. They decided to go down to check what it was. Harry had his wand in his hand, and was ready for an attack. However, he was met with a very strange sight. Tonks was walking towards them, trying to be quiet. "How did I get here? I thought I died" Tonks asked with a very confused look on her face.
"Yeah, this has been happening for a while" Harry said with exasperation. Tonks looked shocked. Harry decided that he had to get Alastor, he would be elated!

Alastor's P.O.V
"Alastor! Come with me!" Harry shouted. He pulled out his wand.
"What is it? Is there an attack?" he asked hurriedly.
"No, just come!" Harry exclaimed. They went back to the common room where Tonks was waiting. When she saw him, her face lit up.
"Mad Eye!" she yelled. She ran over and embraced him, and for the first time, he hugged her back. "I love you" she whispered so only he could hear.
"I love you too Dora" he replied with a lump in his throat. He meant what he said. "I never want to lose you again" Alastor was happier than he had ever been to have her back. He would never let her get hurt again. He finally knew what love felt like.

A/N: Sorry it took so long to update, I have been preoccupied with school. Now that holidays are coming up, I will be updating a lot more. Please review!