Chapter 20 The Better Man

The Swans got the diner and were seated at their usual table. Astrid and Charlie ordered the same thing, a double cheeseburger with fries while Bella ordered the chicken. Charlie asked the girls how their day went and Bella, of course, was vague and not very talkative. Charlie sighed.

“So, Astrid, how was your day?”

“Great, I started my senior classes today. Most of the classes I have with Emmett, so he helped me get up to speed with what was going on in the lesson. We're doing sculptures in Art class and can do whatever we want. I chose an Amazon warrior from Greek mythology.”

Charlie laughed, “Of course you did.”

Bella looked at her father and Astrid and couldn't help but feel jealous about their relationship. But in the back of her mind, she knew that it was her fault for not spending enough time with him.

Astrid and Charlie talk about Astrid's day and how her training went. They try to include Bella in the conversation, but Bella sits there eating her dinner. Once they finish their meal and have dessert, they head back to the house.

A couple of weeks go by, and things are going great for Astrid. Not only at school but with her relationship with Emmett. They have become a lot closer to the point that Emmett would like to introduce Astrid to his parents formally. When they're driving home from Port Angeles Emmett asks Astrid if she'll come over to his house to meet his parents.

Astrid thinks about it for a moment, “Yeah, I'd love to meet your parents.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. I know everyone else even though I don't like Rosalie. I don't see why I shouldn't meet your parents.”

“Great, I'll pick you up tomorrow at noon.”

“That'll be fine, Emmett.”

They get to Astrid's house, and Emmett walks Astrid to her door. He kisses her goodnight then heads back to his Jeep. Astrid goes into the house. She goes into the living room where Charlie is watching a game and drinking a beer.

“So how was your training?”

“Great as usual. Emmett asked me to meet his parents tomorrow.”

Charlie looked up at Astrid, “Is your relationship that serious?”

“Yeah, I guess it is. I'm still not in love with him if that's what you're thinking, but I do like him a lot.”

Charlie nods, “Just be careful.”

“I will. Did you eat already?”

“I ordered a pizza. It's in the fridge if you want some.”

“No thank you, Emmett took me out. Where's Bella?”

“Where else? Out with him. I don't understand why she hasn't introduced him to me yet.”

“I don't know either, Dad.”

“Edward and Emmett are nothing alike. Emmett at least dared to come to introduce himself and walks you to the door. That idiot honks for Bella. Like he's afraid to run into me.”

Astrid laughed, “Maybe he is.”

Charlie chuckled, “Maybe so.”

Astrid sat down with her dad to watch the game with him. When it was over, she went upstairs, got ready for bed then called Emmett to tell him goodnight.

“Goodnight, Sunshine, I'll see you tomorrow at noon.”

“Okay, Em, goodnight.”

With that, Astrid hung up plugged in her phone and went to bed.