Chapter 20

Dong-Min

I hated September 10, the day caused me nothing but sorrow. My father let me skip school today which made me feel even more miserable. I walked to the graveyard, alone.

I hadn't even noticed how late it was until I heard owls. Seeing the young owl made me bawl my eyes, it was cute and small. It reminded me of when my mother would tell me stories of owls and how beautiful and smart they were. I was so amazed about the bird species and would imitate them until you left.

"Dong-Min?" I heard a soft voice.

I looked up to see the girl I was expected the least to see, "Jeong-Hui?"

"Where were you?" she asked kneeling on my level.

"I was here all day..." I looked in the back of her.

"Are you okay?" she grabbed his hand.

"I guess..." I looked back at her.

"If you don't want to tell me it's okay, let's just go get you some food." She stood up and turned around to start walking.

I felt my hand suddenly grab her hand, "Hold up."

She turned around, "Do you not want to eat?"

"I want to tell you what happened!" I cut her off.

She didn't even look mad, she just smiled and kneeled again, "Go ahead, I'll be here."

I'll be here...

"My mother left September 10, I didn't know what happened to her until a few months ago," I couldn't go on with my train of thought. I have already cried for so long yet the tears still threatening to come out with every passing moment.

"It's okay to cry," Jeong-Hui told me squeezing my shoulders.

The tears streamed out like a waterfall, "I didn't find out until a few months ago that she died of cancer and... and for the longest time I was angry at her for purposely leaving me but she didn't! She didn't want to leave and I hate that I've been angry at her for the past 10 years when she didn't... when she couldn't even defend herself and tell me, "I never wanted to leave you! I had no choice!". Why was I so angry?" 

She let go before hugging me, "It's not your fault, don't blame yourself for something you knew nothing about."

We stood there embracing each other and something about her hug melted me in the now chilly night. Her touch reminded me of my mother's delicate touch but in some weird way, her touch was unique. Her touch caused me to melt in her arms, instantly feel at home, and make me happy.  

*^*

"Oh, the movie is starting," Jeong-Hui said siting down.

I stood there confused before Jeong-Hui talked again, "What are you doing? Sit down."

"Right," I said before sitting down.

"Don't worry, I got popcorn, soda, and... My Chew!" She excitingly said taking out a package of My Chew from her purse.

"Of course you did," I chuckled getting a My Chew from the package.

"Yah! Be quiet the movie is starting," She saltily said from my comment. I just laughed and ruffled her head just focusing on her beautiful features.

"I don't like this..." I mumbled. I don't like scary movies, they made me anxious and I have to sleep with a night light for a week.