Enid nodded, running her fingers along the bandages on her hands.

He must've bandaged them while she was asleep.

"Thank you for your help. Thank you so much." Her voice was nearly a whisper.

She felt so dirty.

The pressure of the boy's fingers was phantom on her sides.

"Why don't you have a shower and get cleared up. I'll pop out to the café and get us some breakfast." His tone so gentle and warm, as if he expected her to break down at any moment.

She nodded shakily.

Her fragile frame shook slightly as she gathered clean clothes and padded into the bathroom.

She brushed her teeth, getting rid of the cotton-like feeling in her mouth.

Enid tugged the soiled clothes over her head and dropped them in the corner, wishing she could burn them.

She peeled the old bandages from her skin before turning toward the shower.

Stepping in, she let the hot water wash away the memory of the night before.

Her skin was red by the time she was done, having scrubbed at it with body wash over and over again.

She grit her teeth as the soap reached her cuts.

Slipping into her comfy grey sweatpants and an oversized sweatshirt of her father's, she tugged a hairbrush through her wet curls.

When she emerged from the bathroom, she found that Dr. Romano had returned and was pulling muffins and other breakfast pastries out of a brown paper bag.

"I wasn't sure what you wanted, so I got a bit of everything." He smiled at her as she sat at the small table.

"Thank you." She smiled back.

Now that she was awake and aware, she realized the enormity of what was going on.

Dr. Romano was in her dorm room.

His rumbled professional attire showcased that he had probably been there all night.

The blanket resting on the arm of the plush armchair in the corner of her room confirming her suspicions.

He had saved her.

Carried her all the way back to her dorm room.

Cleaned and bandaged her injuries.

And then he had stayed, waiting to make sure she was alright.

Questions spun through her head.

How had he known which dorm room was hers?

Why had he stayed?

A cup of hot chocolate appeared before her and she followed the arm holding it up to the man that had become her knight in shining armor.

He placed it carefully on the table before her, before kneeling down beside her.

They were nearly the same height at this level.

Enid held her breath as he reached toward her, capturing her small hands in his large ones.

He turned them over softly, caressing the skin on the back of her hands with his thumbs.

He grabbed another bag from the table, pulling out a box of bandages and ointment.

Carefully, he applied them.

She blushed, his fingers brushing against her calf as he raised her socked foot to rest upon his knee.

His emerald eyes seeking hers for permission before he continued.