Chapter 13: Chocolate & Strawberry (edited)

Chapter song: Yours- Conan Gray

Stella

I gulped, feeling my heart drop in my chest as I stared at Mason and then back at Logan. My hands fisted and unfisted at my sides as I reckoned with the infinite possibilities of how he would react.

"What brings you here Mason?" Logan asked and I held my breath.

Mason smiled tensely before he turned to him. "I stopped by for some brownies. My little brother kept asking for them." I released a heavy breath, glancing away.

"Mason?" Katy's timid voice came from behind me. I hurried to the kitchen, resting my head back on the door with a heavy exhale.

"Emily, thank you so much for coming here so fast." I stood straighter, turning to Mrs. Vanessa with a smile. "The thing is my husband’s birthday is tonight and you were the first I could think of for a special cake. I want to surprise him.”

"I'm happy you thought of me.” I smiled and she shrugged with a soft chuckle.

"Of course, I would. You’re so talented, Emily. I trust you with preparing something special. Everything you might need is in the fridge."

"Mrs. Vanessa!" Katy called from outside and she was quick to run out. I grabbed the strawberries and placed them on the aisle. Turning around, I frowned in surprise when I saw Logan at the kitchen door.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, walking over to him.

He smiled, rubbing the back of his neck. "Wait- what are you doing here?"

"I work here. Please, leave. You're not allowed in the kitchen." I said and he laughed just as Mrs. Vanessa came back.

"I'm so sorry. He's just my friend. He came over to say hi and was just leaving."

"So you and my son are friends?"

"Son?" I croaked, turning to him. He laughed again finding the whole thing amusing.

"I had to convince him for a whole hour to leave his studies and come help. I knew you wouldn't have time to manage alone." She smiled a bit then turned to him. "You'll stay?"

His gaze held mine. "I'm not going anywhere."

"So that day when we bumped into each other..."

I nodded with a short laugh while washing the fresh strawberries. "It happened that I saw the flyer requesting employees and decided to apply. I've always wanted a job like this one. It's a blessing that I got the chance to work with someone as talented as your mother.”

"Em?" I glanced behind my shoulders and he waved two flour bags. I pointed to the one on the left.

"What do we do next?" he exclaimed, staring around at the table stuffed with ingredients.
I narrowed my eyes with a little smile, placing the bowl of strawberries down.