Chapter 1- Juke-Joint

{Jacqueline}

8 years later...

; "Order up!" I heard the cook yell while ringing the bell by the window. I sighed and got up from my table, rolling over to where the window was and taking the plate and glass cup from him.

"Orders are for table number seven." He said before hastily getting back to flipping burgers.

I nodded my head and glided along the floor until I arrived at the table. The customers looked at me with gentle smiles on their faces as I placed the food on the table.

"One cheeseburger for the gentleman, and one large chocolate shake for the lady." I said smiling.

They nodded me off and I rolled to my next table, internally sighing because of the way they had behaved towards me the entire time they were here.

"Can I do anything for y'all?" I asked them with a solemn look on my face.

"Nah nigger, we don't need your assistance. But you could call ova' a white waitress to this table if you don't mind." A older man around the age of 40 replied.

It took all the strength in my body not to roll my eyes at him and to actually force out a smile.

"Sir, I could just take you order now-"

"Are you getting sassy with me girl? I said I wanted a white waitress and I damn sure better get one. I'd be damned if I let a nigger serve me and even come near my food. Now either you bring a white waitress or I talk to your manager." He snarled at me.

If I was any other black girl my age, I would probably scurry off in fear. But I wasn't like other girls at my age at all. Instead of fear engulfing my body, anger took over and I had to clench my jaw from preventing myself of saying anything slick.

"Yes sir." Was all that I could mutter before leaving their table.

I walked into the kitchen and called for one of the white waitresses to come serve that table.

Since this was the infamous Birmingham, Alabama, this was a segregated establishment. Almost everything in Birmingham was segregated. Schools, movie theaters, restaurants, stores, parks, anything you think of... its probably segregated. That was only one of the many things I hated about this place.

I went into a door in the back of the diner and was caught off guard by the loudness of the jukebox. I looked around and saw random teenagers dancing around the diner, some even on tables. Even though this was a diner, only half of the people who come here eat. This was more like a juke-joint than anything.

I laughed as I rolled over to my group of friends and saw them all dancing.

"Well, well, if it isn't Ms. Jacqueline Johnson!" said my best friend, Kimberly.

"The one and only! How all my gentlemen and gentlegals doing?" I said loudly as a few people cheered in satisfaction.

"Well, now isn't someone in a good mood? I see you haven't gotten told off by any of them white folks on the other side?" Kimberly smirked.

"Actually I just did, but you know I don't care nothin' bout what them white folks got ta' say!" I said laughing.

She laughed as we started dancing to the music a little. I loved coming to this side of the diner just because of the atmosphere. It was so lively and welcoming on this side of the diner unlike the white folks side. It was always so solemn and boring on that side, unless it was a few people in there who decided to cause trouble with me.

Since I am the only African American waitress who works at Big Adam's Diner, I get quite alot of complaints from the whites. They're always complaining on how I wasn't sanitary enough to hand them their food, or how I would poison them if I got the chance too, and a bunch of other ridiculous nonsense. They've even gone to the point of trying to get me fired, but that will never happen consedring my dad is the best friend of the owner and were very close. My chances of getting fired were very slim, especially if it's about some ridiculous racist issue.

"JACQUELINE, YOUR SHIFTS DONE!" I heard my boss scream and I let out a huge sigh.

"Well it's about time, I'll see y'all around! Kimberly I'll see you at school tomorrow!" I shouted behind me taking my diner's cap off, and letting my natural curls flow down my face and walking out of the door into the night.

A/N: Hey guys! The first few chapters are gonna be somewhat of background/filler chapters just so you can get the feel of the characters and the setting and time period. It may be a little slow, but it'll pick up I promise! It'd also be really nice if you dropped a vote/comment if you enjoyed.