6

"Jonah Marais, please tell me we are playing pool because I am so going to beat your ass." Josie tells the boy who brought her to a Tavern as she looks around the room seeing the pool tables, and people dining and seated at the bars.

"We are playing pool, but there is no way I'm letting you win." He says and walks toward one of the tables.

"Yeah sure, sounds like something a loser would say." She bluffs and Jonah shakes his head at her with a smile on his face.

"While you keep lying to yourself, I'm gonna go get us drinks, what do you want?" He asks her and she rolls her eyes before replying.

"Cherry coke. No alcohal because we underage." She says covering her face like the meme and he laughs a little before his eyes widen a little.

"Wait, underage by how much though? I'm not like secretly taking a 17 year old on a date am I?" He halfway jokes.

"Only by a couple months, grandpa." She jokes

"I literally just turned 21, when can a man get a break." He complains and walks off to get the drinks.

While he's gone Josie gets everything set up, grabbing two sticks off the rack.

"I'm backkkk." He sings and waves around the two drinks.

"Thank you, kind sir." She replies, trading her drink for his cue.

-

15 minutes pass, and Josie is losing.

Josie sits on the edge of the table waiting for her turn while Jonah goes and someone yells "Grant!" Causing heads to turn.

Neither Josie or Jonah could tell who it was but after a few seconds Josie recognized a friend from high school who stood up and started walking towards the two.

"Kade? Hey!" Josie jumps off the table and hugs her friend.

"How are you?" He converses and Jonah stands there awkwardly now that his turn is over.

"I'm good, moving to California in a couple months." She nods. "What about you?"

"I'm good, home for summer break." He tells her and she nods again, offering a smile.

"Oh, this is Jonah." She says, waving him over and he leans against the table next to Josie.

"Jonah, this is Joseph." She says and they shake hands

"Nice to meet you. Well uh, I have to get back over there. Bye Josie." Joseph says and Josie responds with a little wave as he walks away.

"He's totally into you." Jonah tells her, passing josie her stick.

"What, you jealous?" She asks, leaning forward to play her turn.

"I'm just saying I got the vibe hes into you." He tells her but gets interrupted by Joseph coming back.

"Hey Josie, is it alright it I text you?"

"Of course, same number I've had since 8th grade." She tells him.

"Cool." He replies and walks back to his table.

Josie turns around to a smirking Jonah with an "I told you so" look and she rolls her eyes.

"Jonah, you're delusional. He doesn't like me." She shakes her head and laughs.

"Whatever you say." He shrugs and she gestures him to take his turn.

"I'm pleased to inform you that Joseph Kade has been out of the closet since freshman year." She tells him and a shocked expression pulls onto his face.

"I never would've guessed." He laughs and shoots his last ball into a hole.

"And I win." He raises a fist in the air and bites his lip.

"Until next time Jonah. I let you win this time." She lies and he shakes his head, putting the poles on the racks and the balls back into place.

"Ready to head out?"

"Yes."

"Good. We're going for ice cream." He tells her and she smiles and jumps excitedly.