Welcome home relatives

Miles

As soon as he was discharged after a couple of days I made sure to keep him close to me. I refused to let him leave my sight for even a minute. Showers and bathroom breaks are gonna be fun (sarcasm).

Once out of the hospital I helped him up from the wheelchair they escorted him out on and helped him into the car. He basically had a broken leg now so I needed to make sure he stayed off of it. Obviously it's just a twisted ankle but I treat everything like that as if it's broken cause it'll be easier to think about when I'm trying to help it get better.

Once he was in the car I buckled him up. I was kind of surprised when he didn't try saying that he could buckle himself but the far off look in his eyes told me he wasn't paying attention to anything right now.

I climbed into the car and sent my sister a message saying we're coming back. I had gone back home that next morning after I got here to let her know what happened and told her to stay with her friend for a few days while I was up at the hospital with Danny. She replied -is he ok??- I sent a 'yes' before taking off for home

Throughout the drive I took glances at Dan to see him lost in thought. All I could think about was what would have happened if it was worse. I don't think I'd ever be able to forgive myself if something worse happened to him.. especially since I could have helped him or at least convinced him to go later in the day maybe; maybe the accident wouldn't have happened if they weren't anywhere near that truck. I know a lot of things happen for a reason but stuff like this makes me so confused how it was 'meant to happen'.

Finally I couldn't take the silence anymore and reached over with my right hand and took his. I literally saw him flinch as if he was being hit and look directly at me. Once he saw me he instantly relaxed.

"Are you ok baby?" I asked him. He just shrugged and I sighed a little. "Do you wanna get some food before we go home? There's a diner a few miles up ahead."

He glanced over at me and nodded a little before glancing back to the window. I looked down at his hand for a second before taking it in mine, waiting to see what he'd do. All he did was grasp at my hand, a little tight.

The rest of the ride we were quiet, it was kind of uncomfortable. I wanted to talk to him and I wanted to see if there was anything I could do to at least help him but I knew he would just nod or shake his head; there was no way I could get him to speak right now.

Once we arrived at the diner I let go of his hand and climbed out, going to help him out on his side. The hospital gave us crutches so once I got them out I held them close to the door while he climbed out. As soon as he was secure I helped him inside.

Once we got in I asked for a booth since those are more comfortable to sit in and I knew Dan wouldn't wanna sit in the chairs. I helped him into the booth and sat down in front of him.

After the waitress gave us our menus she left and I looked at Dan. "Do you know what you want baby?" I asked him, hoping he'll talk to me this time.

He glanced up from his menu and shrugged before pointing to what looked like a cheese and bacon omelet. "That looks kinda good.." he whispered so quietly I almost had to ask him to say it again.

"Alright baby we can get that." I smiled softly, happy he's at least talking to me now. After a few minutes the waitress came back and I told her what we were gonna get. I figured we'd share since I'm not that hungry and he's clearly not gonna eat much right now. Plus it's huge so I know I wouldn't eat more than maybe half or something. I then ordered us both some cokes before she left, leaving us alone.

I glanced over at Dan and opened my mouth to say something but closed it immediately. It's to soon.. he's still hurt obviously and even if I ask if he's okay he clearly isn't. I can hear it in his voice clearly.