11: My Heart of Stone... Isn't So Stony

Start from the beginning

Uma gives a fake smile. FAAAAAKE. "True love's kiss?" She prods. "Works every time?'

"Oh-ho, you mean the thing that destroyed all your plans every single time?" I snicker, feeling very much myself again when Uma glares at me.

"Um. Well, we haven't actually used the 'L' word yet." Evie says hesitantly.

Uma's eyes ever... so... slowly... travel up to the ceiling.

Evie slowly leans down, putting one hand delicately on Doug's forehead before bouncing back up. "Can we be alone?"

I nod. Uma and Mal both do as well, but they move SO SLOWLY that I grab them both and drag them into the kitchen. I hear Evie break out into song in there, and I have to say I really think E's voice one of the few I can stomach when they break out into random song.

I mean, HELLOOOO? Us singing on the Isle for VK day was AWE-SOME. And smacking a buncha knights while jamming out was just as fun. But Icy told me that at Cotillion they all danced in the water. Blegh. I hate getting wet. Can't swim, don't ever want to. Useless, useless skill.

Unless I'm going to Atlantica to visit Icy. Then I'll tolerate.

Also, that one song that Uma and crew did on the Isle when they kidnapped Icy and Beasty. I liked that. I was watching from the docks. I never mention that to Icy though, because I was also one of the people she fought when they were trying to escape. I was behind her when Carlos asked her to Cotillion. I'm kinda hoping she never remembers.

Mal and Uma sneak back to Evie's studio, where I can vaguely hear her wondering ♫Does he love me? Or does he love me not? Do I love him, and is it strong enough?♫ And I'm kinda tempted to go running in there and shake her, screaming "OF COURSE HE LOVES YOU YOU IDIOT ANYONE WHO WATCHES HIM WHEN HE'S WATCHING YOU TALK ABOUT YOUR BUSINESS KNOWS THAT!!!"

But nah. That'd be a little mean.

Plus, if Icy heard about it, she'd laugh at me for knowing what Doug looks like when he's listening to Evie talk about her business.

Instead, I go back outside to Arson. Because of the way he's stuck, I have to sit cross-legged in front of him and crane my neck backward to look fully at his face.

It's pretty freaky to see a stone look-alike of someone you love.

This time, I don't cry, but I do get a big welp in the back of my throat. I swallow it back and reach my fingers out, clasping the hand he has frozen in the act of trying to help Brit.

"Ar..." I choke out. "I'm so sorry. I thought you'd be safe here."

Surprise, surprise, he does not answer. His gray-coated eyes stare straight ahead.

I swallow again, trying to get rid of the horrible fear inside me. I hate feeling scared. But part of me wonders if this is payback for the year I spent under that coma. Some cruel fate person being whatever decided "Hey, since Sera gave up a year of her life for her brother, why don't we make sure those two feel each other's same feelings and PUT ARSON IN A STONE STATUE FOR A WHILE? HUH?"

Sometimes I want to punch my inner self.

I do wonder if this was how Arson felt. I know Icy was this way. Holding my hand for hours at a time, saying stuff to me. I remember it all, I heard it all. Even when she confessed stuff about her powers. She was terrified that her powers would someday hurt someone, terrified that she someday wouldn't be able to stop herself. How scared she was that she'd someday turn evil, like her dad used to be and how everyone thinks her mom is. She admitted that even with those fears, she loves using her powers. Every time. It gives her a sense she can't replicate, a sense of being in control of her life.

She also told me how she felt about Carlos. She really must've thought I could hear her, because she actually admitted to me that she'd liked guys before, but never the way she does Carlos. She even told me the moment she fell in love with him, and I totally didn't see it coming. She said she fell hard the moment she saw him hold Dude for the first time, after he ran away from the mutt at practice with her.

I think I know Icy better than anyone, just because of how much she told me. I guess when you think a person isn't listening, you say a lot.

But to the point. If Arson can hear me, the way I could hear Icy...

"Arson." I start, swallowing one last time. "I love you, you big dork. Okay? And I'm sorry you don't hear it often enough. You're my only brother, and I love you. And... you make me a better person. You make me want to have fun for the sake of having fun, not to keep up a tough act like I did on the Isle. You make me happy, Ar. When you laugh, I can't not laugh along. So I don't want you to leave. I..." My voice gives out, and I stop, putting my head down. My grip on his hand tightens, then I let go.

No loopholes, like with Dori's spell. My brother is trapped.

"I'm going to get you free, Ar." I stand and rest my forehead his stone one gently. "I promise you that."

____________________________

I couldn't resist. 

(Also, btw, I didn't put the full song of "One Kiss" because I really felt like it wouldn't be something Sera would stay for, not when her only family member was outside and she had bigger things to think about. 

Hope you guys liked it!