10: Stone Cold

ELLIE'S POV

"BEN!"

"Ben!"

"BEN?"

"BEN!"

"Here's a thought." I grumble to myself. "Maybe we don't yell out our location."

We've been walking for forever. I kind of wish I'd gone with Uma, Mal, Celia, Evie and Sera. But, the groups had to be even, I guess. But right now we're in the middle of the woods, far from our rendezvous point at Evie's house. We've used up at least half if not more of our two hours, and I'm starting to wish I could shave Harry's head for how many times he flicks his hair out of his eyes.

"Dude." Carlos finally says, calling his dog back. "Nothing?"

"Nope." Dude says, sniffing the ground. "Nothing."

I groan. "Ben could be anywhere! And he's most likely asleep or stone, so we have no way of getting him to answer us!"

I hear munching sounds behind me, and I whirl around to see Gil picking blueberries off of a bush. "Really? More fruit?"

"What?" He asks defensively. "I'm hungry."

I sigh. "I'm sorry. It's fine. I just wish this could all be over." I run my fingers through my hair.

"Y'know, we should play that icebreaker." Gil suggests, tearing more berries off. "De-stress a little. Mmm...Jay, I like the way that you can bounce around, and jump off things."

Jay kind of laughs, but doesn't seem like he's taking it as a joke or an insult or anything. I wish Evie were here to see this.

Jay walks over to the bush. "Um... okay, I like the way you get a kick out of fruit."

"You can never have enough fruit." Gil agrees. "Brit says that fruit is one of the things she likes best about Auradon, 'cause her dad never let her have any." He considers his words, tilting his head to the side. "Also tourney. She likes watching you and Carlos play. She says it makes her smile, 'cause you used to only steal stuff."

Harry snorts, leaning against a tree. "Tourney? That's a wee boy's game!" he makes little sounds, like a baby chick. "You guys are killing me! Icebreaker? Really?"

"What, not feeling appreciated because nobody but Evie can compliment you?" I fake pout.

He growls at me for a minute before turning to Carlos. "P.S., your mutt went that way."

"CARLOS!" Dude yells, and we all turn that way.

"Dude, what do you see?" Carlos calls.

"This way!" He answers, trotting into our view before taking off again, with us hot on his heels.

Paws.

Would paws still be heels?

Whatever. We followed the dog.

_______________________________

SERA'S POV BECAUSE ELLIE'S POV BY HERSELF IS TOO SHORT A CHAPTER ALSO BECAUSE I FEEL BAD THAT I DON'T UPDATE THAT OFTEN AND ALSO THIS CHAPTER WAS SUPER EMOTIONAL TO WRITE AND I WANTED TO SHARE IT SOONER RATHER THAN LATER

We search Audrey's candy-pink room for a few more minutes, but find nothing. Big whoop. I'm kinda tempted to take her diary with me and wave it in her face going "NYA-NYA" next time we see her, but... eh. Books. Icy would so make fun of me if she caught me holding a book. That wasn't PJO, KOTLC, or Fablehaven. Actually, anything by those authors. That should cover my bases.