Chapter Forty-Five: Checkmate

Start from the beginning

It was dark- thanks to Jordan. My eyes still hasn't focused to the dark and I could see the faint figure of her.

"Hello?" A quiet hesitant voice let out. "Where are you guys?"

I was about to step forward but Bennett's stretched his arm out, blocking me to stop me. He put his finger to his lips, motioning me to keep quiet.

The figure looked around the place. "You guys find the weirdest place to meet up just so we wouldn't be seen together. The last time was in an abandoned amusement park, and it wasn't funny when you guys stuck me at the top of the Ferris wheel. I have a fear of heights now thanks to you."

I saw Bennett gave Jordan the nod, now we know for sure it was her.

"And then... there was light," Jordan voice said in the darkness.

The light panel directly on top of her came to life, shining down at her like a spotlight. I finally was able to get a good look at her, and she wasn't anything I expected.

She was a scrawny girl with a skinny frame, as if she was trying to starve herself to look like a model but ended up looking like a stick. She had leopard style rectangular glasses in front of her dark brown eyes. Her black hair was wild frizzy as if she gave up the brush years ago, and went with trying to calm it down in a pink headband with a red bow. She wore a pink collared shirt with a flower pattern, having a blue long cardigan sweater over it.  There was a brown floral patterned pencil skirt and pink argyle socks in black flats.

She looked like the quiet girl at the back of the class. When she was called, she either mumbled out the right answer or say nothing at all. When she had to say an oral report, she would talk with her head down, avoiding eye contact or refuse to do it altogether. The girl you saw, but didn't know, didn't want to know, and never will.

But now we do.

She was scared, panicked, looking around the place. "Where are you? Show yourself. Stop playing games you guys."

It was then I stepped into the light in front of her. She stopped when she saw me, her eyes widening in alarm, but she found her composure and straightened herself.

"It was about time we finally met, Naomi," she said, her pink braces flashed as she talked.

"Do I know you?" I asked her.

She shrugged. "I doubt it. No one would in this stupid school. But then again, who would want to?"

"Who are you then?"

"I'm Evelyn Ford, a senior like you."

I blinked. "A senior? But I've never seen you before."

Evelyn scoffed. "Typical. Even the most unpopular girl in school doesn't notice me."

"Let's cut to the chase," Jordan said, his tone impatient and angry unlike his cheery one just minutes before. "You're the one who's behind the Nerdy Naomi website, haven't you?"

"I'm here, aren't I?" She replied back. "And you're the real ones who sent me that message, weren't you? I was surprised when I got the message from Hannah. It's usually Abby who runs it. She's the alpha of the so called pack after all."

"Now tell us, why did you do it?" Bennett asked, no, demanded. "Why did you make the website?"

"What makes you think I'm going to tell you?" Evelyn asked. "And I need to be somewhere. Since I know you're not the girls, I don't need, or want, to be here. Now if you'll excuse me..."

Evelyn walked towards the doors which she came from. But when she tried to pull open the two-way door only to find it locked. She then tried pushing the door, but it wouldn't budge. She let out a nervous chuckle, looking back at us, and kept trying to pull the door, leaning back but her feet slid on the floor. She used her weight (which wasn't much) to push the door but it wasn't working. So instead she turned around to try the other end of the hall. But just as she was turning, we heard the loud clunk of the doors closing. We looked at the other door and saw Declan had locked the doors, showing the key he used with a small smile before putting it in his pocket.