[F] CH 12.1- Baby Steps (PA)

"Wow!! Look at that man go! He can really swim, huh?".

"He's so fast, just like a professional!".

Movements were swift yet powerful, Nagisa cleared the pool in seconds. However he just didn't have the same level of endurance. He clambered out after doing a couple laps around the pool. Misako watched him, impressed. "Guess your name's "Nagisa" for a reason. Pretty good,".

She dangled her legs lazily over the warm blue water. "I used to be on the swim team throughout high school and college. I guess you could say that I was a professional," Nagisa panted as he sat down on the floor. The woman laughed and looked at her best friend. They were the same age so it was easy to poke fun at each other. "You're not as young as you used to be though. Don't push yourself too much."

The man sighed but he watched the children in the smaller pool splash around. "Your niece is getting the hang of it though,". Misako looked on and nodded in approval. "It's because you taught her so well, Shinji. Huh, even my nephew is catching on,". Nagisa just watched them swim in the pool. He knew that they still weren't used to the movements but they'd get the hang of it over time.

"I wouldn't have minded a niece or nephew myself but none of my siblings are married yet. I was the only one who was married and now the only one who is divorced,". Misako looked at him pitifully. "Speaking of, why didn't you bring your boyfriend here? This swim centre's really close to your house,". Nagisa instinctively looked in the direction of home and sighed, scratching his head. "He's really bad with people and with open bodies of water. It's impossible to bring him anywhere."

Misako playfully punched his arm and squinted at him. "You sheltering him like this won't do him any good either. He won't be able to go anywhere independently once he turns 20,". Nagisa nodded and held his arm, throbbing a bit from where Misako hit him. "One day, this possessive 'I'm going to lock you away from everyone else because my ass is the only one you need to kiss' kind of behaviour of yours is going to scare him and hey presto! You would have created such an unhealthy power dynamic in your relationship,".

Narrowing her eyes, she lectured Nagisa. "You wouldn't want him to be unhappy now would you, Shinji?". Nagisa shook his head, looking down shamefully. "I understand where you're coming from, Ueda. But what do I do if he doesn't want to go out?". The woman helped the children out of the pool while speaking to him. "That's his own problem. However, it's important that you make an effort to drag him out of the house. He's your boyfriend, not some kind of frilly maid who does all your donkey work and stays home to lick your boots. Take him on dates and teach him how to enjoy his life,".

As if her nagging lit a fire in his heart, Nagisa immediately plucked his phone off the table and rang his partner up. "Yuto, is there anything you'd want to eat for dinner? I'll get takeaway for us on the way home,". The boy's soft reply could only be heard by Nagisa alone. "Could we have katsudon tonight?". Nagisa chuckled to himself and wrapped a towel around his wet body while he continued the conversation.

"Would you like Japanese curry on the side?".

"Yes please. With furikake,".

It was always good to know that Yuto had his likes and dislikes all in order. He was very just and in a way, that made it easier for Nagisa to please him. "Roger that~ You don't have to cook tonight. Focus on your assignments,". "Okay, Nagi. Thank you. I love you,". Nagisa wanted to say more but Yuto had already hung up on him. Nagisa bit his lip, a bit annoyed that he wasn't given enough time to say 'I love you' back.

His friend, who was drying the children off, caught his look of annoyance. "You know, you can always go home now. You're already done teaching them. I know that you and that kid can't be separated for too long,". Nagisa nodded and dried himself. "I guess I'll be off then, Ueda. Your niece and nephew are going to swim like fish before you know it,". The woman nodded and waved goodbye to him. "See you at school, Shinji,".