38| Happy Family

Ariana

As the season comes to a close I try to soak up as much hockey as I can. While the playoffs were guaranteed, playing long in the playoffs isn't. So I wanted to make sure I can still enjoy the games while I can.

I pull on my new Blackhawks jacket I got made and and look in the mirror. It was a varsity jacket style with a big Indian head on the back. I had 19 on my arm and some other patches around that represented Jonny. I had plenty of jerseys to wear but I didn't want to wear them all the time. Plus I spent a good amount of money for this so I was going to make it worth it.

So I grab my family and we head on over to the United Center. We sit where Jon got us all tickets and we hang out with the other families around the organization. Although they're a pretty young team they all have some sort of family or significant others who come out to watch the games.

So I hang out with my usual crew while my brother and sister head to the ice to watch warmups. They stand along the glass and cheer when the boys come out. I take a bunch of pictures so they can remember this historic season when they have a better understanding of what this means. Tyler plays hockey so he doesn't really care how good they do, he's just happy to be here. But Jon really thinks he can be really good one day so hopefully if he experiences stuff like this now it can help him later on in life.

"You have the cutest family" Abby Sharp claims and I start to laugh.

"We're something alright. Never seen something so dysfunctional in my life but I wouldn't change it for the world" I admit.

"Is that your real dad" she wonders as she pints to my father.

"Not biologically. But he's been my dad since I was 3 and no one can convince me he's not. I couldn't tell you where my biological dad is, never asked for his name or what he looks like. Don't really need him in my life, I'm happier without him" I insist.

"Aren't you the least bit curious" she wonders.

"The way I see it is he never tried to see me so I'm not wasting time on trying to find him. I could had died last year never knowing my father, but instead I'm going to live that way" I shrug.

"I guess that's the best way to live" she admits.

"The way I see it is that Tyler and Raven are my full siblings and Trevor is my dad. A good family is hard to come by. I feel like a lot of times it's not just blood either. Some people get married three or four times before they find the one, some people have no connection with their siblings they've spent their whole lives with. But I've learned that family isn't blood, it's heart and I never seemed to have a shortage of that" I admit.

"I see why Jon is so obsessed with you guys. I know he was crashing hard before he met you. He was the one we just couldn't crack. But now we can't seem to get him to shut up about you guys" she laughs.

"He's one in a lifetime. A man of many wonders and many surprises. But I'm lucky he wanted to show me who he really was and I wanted to listen. Sometimes all we need is someone to listen" I insist.

"Don't I know it. I've been with Patrick since the beginning of time and being a hockey wife isn't easy. I mean we just got married and we're about to have our first kid and that isn't even the craziest part of our lives with this lockout. I feel like I'm going to lose my mind" she laughs.

"Life works in the most mysterious ways. But I have money on you and Sharp lasting. You guys work so well together and I feel like he's wrapped around your finger" I smile.

"It's the finger of this little girl in my stomach he's latched to" she claims pointing to her belly.

"I can't wait to meet her" I admit.

"Me neither" she mumbles.

The game starts and we go to our seats. Tyler plays with the puck Jon tossed him in warm up and Raven sits in my lap. She was practically my daughter because I was so old when she was born so I took her to school for a little and I do tea parties and dance parties with her whenever I can. She was very much attached to me and since I moved out after I moved back in after college she's been missing me. But I never forget my family, no matter how in love I am. I wouldn't even be here without them and for that I'm thankful.

"That's bull shit" I scream pretty loud as I hold on to Raven so she doesn't fall off my lap from my animated gestures to the ice. But someone needed to tell these refs just how awful they were. I had no problem with it being me.

"Please calm down you're scaring your sister" my mom shuns.

"She used to watch me play she's fine" I scoff.

"Is that why she's covering her ears" my mom questions and I look down. I see Raven covering her ears and I just laugh. I start to tickle her and her hands quickly leave her head to try and push me away.

"Sissy stop" she cries. I eventually stop but not before her face was nice and red. She looks up to me with the biggest smile on her face and she smiles back. "Meanie" she accuses.

"Butt hole" I counter.

"Butt hole" she mimicked and I just shake my head. Each day I'm more and more convinced she's going to grow up to be just like me. And I'm not so sure that's a good thing.

The game comes and goes and like we did almost every other time this season we won. Jon was a plus three with a goal and two assists. They look like they were going to close the season off strong and I was hoping to be around as much as we can.

After the game we meet Jon at a little ice cream parlor to celebrate. He buys everyone ice cream and I sneak some money in for the tip. He wraps his arm around me and I smile up at him.

"Good game Toews" I tease as he laughs at me.

"Thanks girl" he jokes back.

"You ready for the post season" I wonder.

"As ready as I'll ever be."