19| Back

Jonathan

It's January 8th 2013, pretty early in the morning. I woke up not too long ago and checked my phone like I do every morning. I was expecting my usual stuff, a good morning text from Ari and maybe something from her parents. Her birthday is coming up soon and we're hoping she'll be home by then, but her parents and I are working something out for whatever happens.

But this morning I woke up to the best message I could have ever imagined that wasn't about Ariana leaving the hospital.

The lockout was over.

As much as hockey had kicked me square in the balls since we won back in 2010, I've missed it dearly. After the past three plus some months where I've done nothing but reevaluate my life I remembered why I played in the first place and I remember why it means so much to me. I forgot about being that little boy out on the ice playing because I loved it more than anything. And I want to do it for him. I want to do it for the boys and girls Ariana works with who look up to me and stay after practice to watch me. I want to do it for Ari who gave up this sport because she knew she wouldn't keep playing with the same fire in the heart she had when she stepped off the ice. And now I have my fire back and I couldn't wait to get back out there.

Before I go back to the UC to meet up with whoever was still in town I head over to the hospital. I say hi to everyone on the way to Ariana's room. She had physical therapy this morning but she was back in bed by 10 because she claims if she does it that early then her body isn't awake yet and it won't hurt as bad. So I grab a bouquet of flowers from the store downstairs that had every color in it and I head on up there. I give her the flowers which she much appreciated.

"What's this about" she asks as she puts the flowers in a vase.

"Well the flowers were just because they were beautiful and they reminded me of you" I admit making her smile. "But I do have some pretty big news."

"Spill" she says like we're some teenagers about to say some juicy gossip.

"The lockout is over. We're starting practices up next week and the season will start the week after that" I explain and her eyes go super big.

"Hockey's back" she squeals.

"Yup" I smile.

"Oh sweetie that's awesome. I'm so happy for you" she insists. And I can tell she meant it too.

"Thanks. And don't think this changes anything. I'm still gonna be with you as much as I can and every that day I'm here I'm going to spend as much time as I can with you until I can get you out of here. Then when you're well enough you can come to games and practices and I promise I'm not leaving you. Not now not ever" I insist.

"I don't want you throwing away your job for me" she insists.

"I won't. They won't let me even if I wanted to. But they're grown men who can hold their own, I lead them on the ice and in the locker room, but once I leave there unless there's a rookie who needs some help or I get dragged into some awful promotional thing again I'm going to be right by your side" I insist.

"Wow, if I didn't know any better I would think that you want to be with me forever" she claims and I smile.

"I do. I really do. I know I'm not the easiest to deal with and once hockey starts you'll see that. It's kinda hectic but I promise that as long as you still want to be with me I'm going to be there" I say.

"Of course I still want to be with you. I know a lot comes with you playing professional hockey. I don't expect you to be around as much as you have been or for you to stop everything to be with me. This is a big part of your life and you need to be there for it. I want to be supportive and come with you to all of the home games and always cheer you on no matter where I'm at. I love you Jon, and hockey is a big part of you. It's still a big part of me too and I support whatever decisions you make" she assures me.

"And that's why I don't want to lose you. I would stop playing if that's what it meant" I say.

"I love that about you. But I would never ask that. In fact I would be mad as hell if you stopped playing for me" she insists and I smile.

"I don't doubt it" I laugh.

"I was talking with my doctors and they think I'm close to getting out of here. I can walk with assistance, I just gotta get off the bars and I'm good to go. I gotta take it easy for a while but it seems like after getting knocked down so many times I can finally walk away from all of this" she sighs.

"I'm still surprised as hell you're going to walk away after all of this" I admit as I sit down next to her.

"Like Muhammad Ali said, you don't lose if you get knocked down, you only lose if you stay down" she says.

"I'm really upset you were the stronger one through this all too" I admit and she giggles.

"I didn't get this super cool necklace for nothing" she insists as she pulls out the necklace I got her.

"No, you didn't. Just can't wait to tell the guys that I spent the whole lockout taking care of a girl who was taking care of me" I shake my head.

"You gonna tell your friends about me" she asks.

"Of course. You're my girlfriend, I'm not gonna stop telling them about you no matter how tired of it they get" I insist.

"So I am your girlfriend now" she questions and I smile.

"Yeah. I figured after all this and everything that's happened we could be a item" I shrug.

"I'm more than okay with that. Honestly I never said anything about it because I was worried you would choke up when it came to labels and stuff" she claims.

"I'm not fond of labels. But put it this way, there's not another person in this world I would rather be with. And I want all your love, all your time and I'm going to give you the same. I feel like girlfriend and boyfriend doesn't cover that but until it's wife and husband it will have to do" I insist.

"Alright hockey boy, you got your point across" she assures me and I smile.

"Good. Now give me a kiss" I demand.

"Yes sir" she smiles. She places two fingers under my chin as she pulls me down.

"I love you" she reminds me making me smile so big. I loved it when she told me that.

"I love you too."