4| Like You Too

Ariana

"No way" Jonathan laughs as I laugh along with him. He just shakes his head as he wipes the tears out of his eyes from laughing so hard.

"I'm serious! I convinced the whole hockey team that I have to wear a jock strap so my tampon won't fall out in a game and they believed me. Bought me the jock and everything" I laugh.

"God. I think we would have so much fun if we would have ever played together" he claims.

"I doubt we would ever get anything done. We would mess around too much" I insist.

"I don't know, I'm known by my teammates for being serious. Very serious" he claims.

"I can see that. But anyone who actually sits down to get to know you knows that you're actually a big softy" I accuse making him smile.

"Not many people want to get to know me" he sighs.

"Well it's not like I can walk away" I smirk and he just shakes his head.

"Yeah. I found out the trick to making friends is find the ones who can't ignore you" he teases.

"Well I for one think you're a great guy Jonny. I'm lucky that somehow you got stuck with me and it turns out you're a really awesome guy. It's their loss" I say and he stops. He just looks me over and I look back. I can tell there was something he wasn't telling me but I can't put a finger on it. I couldn't even if I wanted to anyway.

"What do you want to order for lunch" he asks breaking up this awkward silence.

"Hmmm Mac and cheese" I say making him laugh.

"Why did I even ask" he mumbles.

"It's not my fault! I can only eat soft foods, no bread and practically nothing else" I defend.

"You can have soup" he reminds me.

"Okay but Mac and cheese is where it's at" I claim.

"Alright. I'll get you Mac and cheese and apple sauce and a glass of water" he assures me. My usual.

"Thanks Jon" I smile.

"Any time" he smiles back.

He goes to get my food and himself some food too. I take my medicine with the help of my dad and he helps me comb out my hair. I refuse to cut it but it's hard to keep up with it when you can't move or properly care for it.

"So... how have you and Jon been" my dad asks and I roll my eyes.

"We're fine... and we're just friends" I insist.

"Uh huh" he smirks.

"I'm serious! I've only known him for a little over a week because the first time we met I was unconscious. We're just getting to know one another and trying to make the best of a shitty situation" I defend.

"Suuure" he says and I just roll my eyes. Dads... am I right?

Once he was done the doctors come in and run a few more tests. I was getting more feeling so they're hoping that I can do some physical therapy here soon. But for now I have to stick with people feeding me and giving me a drink.

"Open" Jonny says and I open my mouth. He feeds me some Mac and cheese and I let out a grunt.

"Man, I want to get out of here simply because of how bad the food is" I insist. And this Mac and cheese was my best bet.

"It can't be that bad" he claims.

"Then you eat it" I say. He takes a spoonful before making a funny face and spitting it into a napkin. "See, told you" I giggle.

"If you like me you would never... and I mean never... make me do that again" he accuses.

"Okay okay I won't" I promise.

"So you do like me" he teases and I blush. I advert my eyes but I couldn't exactly turn away. I didn't want to admit it but I didn't want to lie to him either. "Don't worry, I like you too" he says and I turn back to him. I look at him weird as he turns to me.

"How could you like me when for the short time we've been together I've done nothing but sit in bed and look like I got ran over by Optimus Prime 50 times" I ask.

"Because you couldn't impress me with makeup or nice clothes or your hockey skills. All I know is who you really are without anything else and that is a really amazing girl. I've spent every day with you in the hospital getting to know you and getting to know myself. I've got to talk about things I forgot I love because things are such a mess outside of here. But when I'm here with you I feel like you see me. You're not looking through me or past me, you're looking right at me. And not as someone who I'm not, just me being goofy and trying to make you feel better" he explains.

"You do make me feel better. You're the only bright spot I've had since I've been in here. But I can't date right now, I can't even hold your hand" I defend.

"I know. I just... I felt like I should at least tell you how I was feeling. It would be kinda hard to keep on the way we are and me not tell you that I liked you. I think you're one hell of a girl and I think you're very beautiful" he claims and I chuckle.

"I certainly don't feel beautiful. Today was the first time I was even able to recognize myself" I admit.

"I'm not talking about your lips or your eyes or even your hair" he says as he moves a piece of hair out of my face. "I'm talking about you Ari. The girl who sits in this bed and worries about her family even though she's fighting for her own life. The girl who let a total stranger come into her life and push his way in there. The girl who has been nothing but a joy to be around even though you're in pain and you don't always feel good. You are so beautiful, and I love that I get to be the one to tell you that" he insists.

"Thank you, Jonathan. For everything. For every single thing" I whisper and he smiles.

"Of course. I'm here for you" he promises.

"And I'm here for you too" I assure him.

"I know. You seem like the only one who is" he admits.

"I really do care for you Jonathan. I need you to know that, but I got a whole world of issues that lie ahead of them and it's going to be hard. I don't think I can-" I start.

"I know Ari, it's okay" he assures me.

"Is it" I ask.

"I just want you to get better and then we can go from there. Okay" he asks.

"Okay" I whisper.