{13} Ending two

(Review)

Claire-Anne dove behind an over turned metal table and drew both her weapons. Her pursuers burst into the room and she peeked out from her table to get a better view of them, but bullets instantly flew her way and Claire was forced to pull back. Multiple times she rose up and shot a few of the Hydra soldiers down, but more would take their place. "Help." She whispered into the coms, "please help I'm being surrounded-" she leaned over and shot more guards down, "is anyone nearby?"

Nothing.

Claire began to despair, but her spirits rose as she heard Bucky's voice crackled to life, "I'm coming
Take down as many agents as you can, there isn't much time left for a fight once I get to your position. The whole base is set to blow in -6 minutes."

"Understood."

Claire-Anne began hurriedly, but still accurately taking down guards. Less and less of the spots were filled, until no more guards were coming. She allowed herself only a few seconds of rest, before continuing to shoot down soldiers, but at least 12 remained. Luckily, she heard the sounds of a someone running and looked over to her right, to catch sight of Bucky.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Chapter heavily inspired by the song Saturn by Sleeping At Last. I highly suggest listening to it)

Bucky and Claire shot down the remaining guards within minutes. For the first time that day, Claire relaxed and let her guard down, running to where Bucky stood. She wrapped her arms around him, "Thanks Buck."

"Of course Claire bear." They stayed like that as long as they could spare, with the base holding a ticking bomb. When Bucky looked over Claire's shoulder, he gasped.

Bucky spun the two around, standing where Claire had as the sound of gun shots rang through the hall. Two small, yet growing, spots of crimson appeared over his heart. Claire stared horrified.

Bucky gave her one last small, yet reassuring smile. The ones that held the light of everything will be ok, and he crumbled to the ground. Limp and lifeless. Claire let out a heartbreaking cry, aloud and in her mind. She looked toward where the bullets had come from, bent on revenge. Instead she saw a convulsing body, foaming at the mouth, having taken a pill of poison.

Claire knelt next to Bucky as she began sobbing. She knew there was little time left before the bomb exploded. "St-steve." She managed to choke out into her com.

"Claire? Claire where are you? The building's about to blow."

"H-help. Bucky he...he..." She started sobbing all over again, and Steve felt a shiver of nervousness travel through his spine.

"Claire, grab Bucky and meet me at the coordinates I send you, and hurry." Steve ran back inside the building. He had waited outside while the others went on, after Bucky had gone to help Claire-Anne.

Somehow Claire managed to drag Bucky all the way to where they needed to meet Steve, though it wasn't easy. As she rounded the final corner she saw Steve waiting for her, and her strength was gone. Claire set Bucky down and fresh tears poured from her eyes. Steve ran towards the two horrified, and dropped to his knees to check Bucky's pulse. He found none, and his heart shattered. Steve knew they had less than a minute, and so he held back his grief. Scooping up the dead super-soldier, Steve turned toward Claire, "Come on, we have to leave."

The group sprinted as fast as they could, and dove behind several large boulders outside the Hydra base, as it exploded behind them. When it stopped raining debris, Tony and Rhodey flew to their location. "Tony, Rhodey, thank goodness. Take Claire and-and Bucky and get back to the quinjet, I'll run behind you." Steve ordered.

Iron Man and War Machine did what the captain told them. Within thirty minutes Steve had arrived and the jet was in the sky. Bucky's body had been placed in a sealed container in one of the wings. Claire was curled in a corner still crying. Natasha and Peter were laying down after falling victim to migraines when Claire had cried out, the sound splitting their heads. Steve used a rag to wipe the blood off his hands and sat next to Claire, holding her while they both cried.

A soldier.

A good man.

A friend.

And a brother had been lost today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The funeral was held only five days later. Everyone who had attended, all the Avengers along with Shuri and T'challa, shed tears during the service. But none as much as Claire-Anne and Steve.

The day after the funeral, Peter walked out of his bedroom after waking up, to see everyone hugging Claire. "What's happening?" He asked, confused.

Claire turned toward him, wearing a sad smile. She walked over to him and led him to the couch. "Peter, the days before," her voice faltered, "before his funeral, I uh, decided to do some digging. I um, was searching for my family, and I found them. I found them, Peter. My mom and dad, and my younger brother and sister."

"R-really? That's-thats great Claire." Peter said, a little worried.

"Peter, I'm leaving. I'm going home to live with them." Claire said, breaking the news.

"Oh..." Peter looked at his hands, depressed.

"I'm sorry Peter, I hate leaving I honestly do, I'm so close to all these people, to you. But everything here reminds me of Bucky. I just need to have space, and get through my grief elsewhere. Maybe someday I'll return. I'm sorry Peter."

"No, no. Don't be sorry. Claire this will be great for you, and yeah, I'll miss you, but that's why we have phones and computers, right? To keep in touch with far away friends and family." Assured Peter.

Claire broke into a relieved smile, "Thank you for being so supportive." She wrapped him in a tight hug, "Gosh, I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too, Claire." Peter said, returning the hug, "But before you leave, I have something for you." He untangled himself from the hug and ran to his room, returning with a small, cream colored cardboard box. He handed it to Claire, "Here, I had this specially made a few days ago."

Claire opened the box, and inside was a silver necklace with an infinity sign charm. The front was a pattern of her and Bucky's birthstones-March and June-and on the back was written, 'til the end of the line. "Thank you, Peter." Claire whispered, tearing up. "It's beautiful."

"Would you like me to put it on you?" Peter tentatively asked. When Claire nodded, he gently lifted it from the box and clasped it around her neck. Peter and Claire hugged one last time.

"Well, Happy's waiting in the car, and all my stuff has been packed and loaded... I guess this is goodbye for now." Claire concluded.

"Guess it is... Bye Claire, I'll miss you."

"Goodbye, I'll miss you too Peter. Oh, and don't do anything stupid until I get back, okay?"

"How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you." Peter replied, grinning. Claire smiled one more time before turning and leaving the Compound, not looking back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

THE END

Authors note:
So this was a sad version of the chapter, let me know if you cried, lol. I hope you enjoyed this two book series, and thanks so much for reading.
Lots of love,
Siri