Runaway pt. 2

Finley's POV
(age, 15)

1 month later

It's been 1 month since I left home, and things haven't been going well. Michael ended up overdosing on oxycodone, his drug of choice, and he almost died. He was forced to do 2 weeks of inpatient rehab and now that he's out he has to go to therapy twice a week. I decided to stay to help him, knowing I had no where else to go.

Right now, we're at a party for one of his friends. I'm just sitting in the corner, a drink in hand, wishing I could just go get Michael and leave. But instead, he's playing beer pong with a bunch of college kids.

I looked down at my phone, the time nearing 12. I sighed, took another sip of the shitty alcohol, thinking about things I probably shouldn't for my sanity's sake.

I decided I needed some fresh air, so I swerved my way through the sea of drunken people to find the front door. Once I got outside, I stood by the mailbox, deciding whether or not I should order an Uber, since Michael drove us here. Then again, he can't exactly drive us home either.

Eh, he can crash here.

So I fished out my phone, ordered an Uber, and texted Michael I was leaving and that he could drive home in the morning.

But all of the sudden, everything happened so fast.

Once second I was standing by the mailbox, the next I'm being pushed into the road, and then everything goes black.

* * *

Awsten's POV

It's been a month since Finley ran away. A fucking month. We haven't heard from her at all and everyone went from looking for her alive to looking for her body. And it's all my fucking fault.

My phone began ringing, probably because of Jawn or Otto wanting to check on us, so I picked it up. It was actually just a random number, so I ignored it.

But it rang again, the same number showing up on the screen.

Probably just a political ad.

And then it rang again. And again. So I just picked it up out of annoyance.

"Hello?" I answered rather aggressively.

"Is this Awsten Knight?" a frantic voice said on the other side.

"Yeah, why?"

"I'm... I'm Michael, Finely's boyfriend. Finley..."

"What happened? Where are you guys? Where is she?" I asked immediately.

"Finley... she's hurt, like, really bad," his voice cracked.

"WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN?!" I yelled at him.

"She got hit by a car!"

I froze. My daughter , my baby girl, was hit by a car, and I'm not there.

"Babe, what's wrong?" Sophie said as she came down the stairs.

"F-Finley," I stuttered.

"You need to come to the hospital, like, now. They just took her up to surgery," Michael continued.

"Did someone find her?" Sophie's face lit up.

"She was... she's..."

"Mr. Knight, she was asking for you before they took her up, you really need to come."