CHAPTER SIXTY THREE - BIG DAY

Start from the beginning

"She'll have plenty of time to harass my boyfriend tonight," I laughed along with her. "Come on, get up. We have plenty of things to do."

"When is your friend coming for my hair and make up again?"

"Karen should be here around noon," I let her know, and I went on, as I knew what was coming next. "And we need to be at the venue at four in the afternoon, and at four thirty, you'll be at the altar with your man."

"My very-soon-to-be husband," she grinned happily, as she sat up in bed

"My very-soon-to-be husband," she grinned happily, as she sat up in bed. "Nothing ever felt so natural. I know I'm doing the right choice."

"You are. You're perfect together," I smiled sincerely, as tears came to my eyes. "Sorry, I promise I won't start crying just yet."

"Aw, Brit," she cooed, and took me in her arms. "I'm happy that you're here after all these years. Thank you for being the best Maid of Honor, and the best friend I've ever had. And thank you for bringing Carl and I back together."

"I didn't do anything, but the pleasure was all mine," I grinned through my tears, rubbing her back. "I know you'll be a great Maid of Honor too."

"W—Wait, does it mean you changed your mind about marriage?" she asked, pulling away to look at me in the eyes.

"I don't know, I'm just thinking about it," I just shrugged, and she took me in her arms again, visibly happy with my answer. "Someday, maybe."

***

The loft was a real battlefield when I came home from the flower shop where I picked up Alice's bouquet. There were people everywhere: Ruth and Al's stepfather were in the kitchen, talking to Latoya and Hayden, Karen was taking care of Al's hair in the living room, and Andy was playing with his cowboy dolls on the couch with Grams. To reassure Alice, I decided to gather everybody home. I knew that, when she was stressed out, it reassured her to have people around, for some reason.

"Auntie Brit!" the little one ran in my direction, a happy grin on his face. "I thought you would never come back."

"Of course I came back," I reassured, messing with his hair. "I need to get prepared, now, or I'm going to run late."

"Sure! Do you want me to put Alice's flowers in this vase?" he kindly offered, pointing at an empty vase by the couch.

"Sure. Thank you, cutie pie," I thanked him, placing a little kiss on his head.

I gave him the bouquet, and went quickly to the living room to check on Alice. I could see by the look on her face that she started to feel nervous. Her whole demeanor had changed drastically since the early morning.

"How are we doing here?" I asked Karen and Alice.

"We're doing good! I'm almost done with the hair," Karen answered, her curling iron in hands. "I'll take care of yours once you're dressed."