2. Rain and Ex Boyfriends

The first boy enters the cafe again and shakes out his hair. The rain outside is falling hard and his coat is drenched from the downpour. He slowly slips it off and walks to the counter, getting his Yorkshire tea.

He makes sweater paws when he grabs it because the mug is warm and his fingers feel numb. It's never pleasant when you're freezing and you touch something warm. It hurts.

He makes his way to his seat and watches the raindrops fall down the window. He feels like a young child as he chooses two and watches them race. It's pleasant to be dry inside as the world gets it's weekly shower.

The bell above the the door chimes again and the boy knows who it is. He can hear the talking by the counter and then the seat across from him is being pulled away from the table and someone sits down.

"I hate the rain," the second boy mutters and the first boy turns to him.

"Why?" He asks curiously. Most people would say they love it. They'd talk about how they like to watch it fall, curled up in a blanket with a good book.

"It's dreary. I like the sun. I like clear nights where the stars try to outshine the lights of the city. Who likes being all wet and being stuck inside?" The second boy asks and the first boy shrugs.

"Lots of people," he tells him and the second boy shakes his head and sips at his drink. There's whip cream and the smell of chocolate is overpowering.

"Liars. You know they don't actually like it," the second boy says and the first boy smiles and nods.

"I guess so. I like the snow personally," he tells him and the other boy hums.

"Love the snow. Snow fights and all that," he grins.

"Yeah for sure. Making snowmen taller than you."

"Eating icicles."

The first boy scrunches his nose, but doesn't mention anything.

"Christmas," he says and the second boys eyes light up. His eyes are green and his eyebrows are thick.

"That has nothing to do with snow, but I love Christmas," he tells him. The first boy drinks his tea and nods his head.

"Me too. My favourite holiday by far," he says with a nod of his head.

"I love giving presents. Last year I bought my boyfriend two tickets to New York to see Ed Sheeran at Madison Square Garden," the second boy says.

The word boyfriend rings through the first boys head. So this boy is gay. It doesn't bother the first boy in the slightest, he himself is gay. He just didn't expect him to be also.

"He must've loved that," he says with a genuine smile and the boy nods, but his smile seems plastered on now.

"He did. Actually, he loved New York so much he didn't come home with me. I wonder how he's doing," the boy says dreamily, looking out the window. The first boy watches him in shock.

"Aren't you upset? He left," he questions. He knows if that happened to him, he'd still be fuming.

"I was upset. Cursed him and wished him the worst, but now I don't care. I've met other people and done new things," he says with a indifferent shrug.

"You're better than me. I'd still be cursing his name," the first boy says. He grabs his drink again, his sweater paws still protecting him from the warmness of the mug.

"If you're always cursing someone's name you'll never be able to love someone else's," the second boy points out.

"Deep," the first boy chuckles and the second boy rolls his eyes.

"Speaking from experience. What's your story from last year?" The boy asks. The first boy licks his lips, tasting the tea and thinks back.

"I was getting over my boyfriend - or kind of boyfriend. I guess we were fuck buddies, but I felt more for him than he did for me," the first boy explains. Second boy licks up some whip cream and nods in understanding.

"Sounds rough. What ended it?" He asks and the first boy let's out a small laugh.

"He got a girlfriend and she was his third cousin," he says and the second boy laughs his loud laugh again.

"Really?" He asks and the first boy nods quickly, smiling despite himself.

"Really really. How messed up is that?" He asks and the second just looks out the window smiling.

"Way more messed up then just staying in New York that's for sure," he replies and the first boy kicks him under that table.