[ 04 ] - Where These Feet Walk

THE ROAD HOME

  Morning came and Sakura realized the reason for the all black curtains

  Morning came and Sakura realized the reason for the all black curtains. She was practically blinded when she tore them open, and ended up stumbling backwards and tripping over her clothes, falling onto her butt. She let out a few grumbles but managed to close the curtain in time before she melted like snow in the early spring.

She glanced at the clock. It was nearly the afternoon already. Sakura's eyes widened and she quickly fumbled for her clothes. After tripping a few more times and nearly knocking down her Flytrap—whom she has yet to name, she was looking and smelling decent. She didn't want to be known as someone who slept the days away like a bum.

She was here and ready for a fresh start. Ready to challenge herself in ways she never thought possible and learn all the mysteries of the work.

  Sakura was on a mission to find Gaara again, feeling up to the challenge of talking to him about more serious matters. And she was sure that she only had to mention Naruto for him to be all ears, or at least have some semblance of willingness to listen. Maybe she would also enquire what a good name for a flytrap was.

Her hair was pulled back into a low ponytail, her forehead and top portion of her head covered by her bandana. She opted for sand-colored pants and a loose green muscle shirt that allowed enough air to reach her sweaty skin when she moved around. Her hands were somehow covered in blisters and red patches — she could only assume that they had been from her night sleeping in the sand, and then the previous sun-heat filled day.

  She walked past a tall building that threw shade over the dry ground and slowed her walk, taking time to bask in the slight coolness. If there was one thing that she already despised about Suna, it was how humid it was. In Konoha, even the hottest summer days had at least a little respite. But, she could learn how to deal with it, she was sure of it.

She found the little plant shop from yesterday and this time the sign said OPEN. Her eyes widened in surprise at how many people were mulling around inside, talking with each other in easy gestures and filling their arms with the green foliage. And Gaara was in the middle of all of it, a genuine smile on his face that made him seem so much younger than he looked before.

It was the contentment on his face that almost made Sakura stop and turn around, but she shook her head and continued forward. The door opened easily under her fingertips, bell ringing out to alert of another potential customer.

Nobody looked her way.

She skirted around a few small children who were looked at flowers and headed towards the counter to where she saw Gaara. She found his bright red hair easily enough and stood beside him.

"I'm surprised at the amount of people here," she mused, fidgeting her fingers when he turned to look at her. He was only two inches shorter, but he was still very intimidating. His smile had slipped off his face even before she went to his side.