Chapter Forty•Three. Brothers & Sisters

ARABELLA
{Broken Glass Kygo & Kim Petras}

🖤
And the only thing we had in common with each other
Was destroyin' everything we ever touched
So cheers to us and what we had
Let's keep dancin' on the broken glass
🖤

Elijah and I hadn't spoken since we were back in Mystic Falls. He knew that I had nothing to say, he knew that there wasn't anything he could say. He just walked me up to the door and waited for Vera to answer. The moment the door opened, Vera didn't look like she was too happy with us, but she welcomed me inside by standing off to the side. Before I walked forward, he grabbed my hand and stopped me.
"I'll be at Mary Kenner's. If you need anything at all, I'm just a phone call away." His eyes were hard, clearly frustrated I ignored him the entire trip. Served him right.
"I can take care of myself." I narrowed my eyes and looked down at his hand on mine, that was enough to make him loosen his grip.
"Arabella, it's not the time." I yanked my arm away from him and he looked away for a second, licking his lips before apologizing again. "I said I was sorry."
"Your sorry means absolute crap to me, Elijah." My eyes snapped to him and poked him in his chest. He looked away and licked his lips again because he knew that what he did was wrong. It was the same thing all the time, it was just on a different crappy day. "How could you stand in the way, instead of just standing by my side like you should have, and letting me take care of Gia?"
"Who's Gia?" Vera froze, her hand was kind of hanging in the air as her eyes went from looking at me to Elijah quizzically.
"Some new vampire Elijah slept with while I was held captive, tortured for a whole year before my memories were wiped clean," I looked at my sister then bit my lower lip while I looked at Elijah again. I was devastated and the look I gave him proved it. He could see how hurt I was, but it wasn't like he cared anyway. If he did then he wouldn't continue to do it. "If you love her so much, go on and catch up with her. Sure she'll love that."
"Arabella, be reasonable." Elijah could be so vulnerable when it came to me but it was like everything right thing he tried to do, took a hard left and he was paying for his choices. The consequence was I pushed him away.
"Reasonable?! Elijah, you weren't forced to stand in front of me while I shifted into a monster! You did that freely on your own to stop me from killing her!" If Vera lived around people, they would surely hear everything I said. But grateful I was to have had the house built away from people in the Quarter.
"Wait a damn minute." Vera stepped out of the doorway and closed the door.
"Vera, this doesn't concern you." Elijah closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose to try and think about what I was saying. He didn't do that for that reason at all.
"It doesn't concern me? You brought Arabella here, Elijah Mikaelson. This freaking concerns me." Vera's eyes were angered as she stepped in front of me.
"I was just looking out for you, Ara. You had gone so long without shifting, you were changing yourself so that you were safe to be around our daughters and I didn't want you to jeopardize all you worked for. You've gone years without being this person." He tried to ignore Vera and spoke to me only. I wanted to say anything, I just wanted to be silent, but the rage inside of me wouldn't quiet down.
"I didn't shift because it concerned the safety of my daughters. I shifted while I was pregnant with them! I haven't changed in years because I had my picture taken every five seconds so I couldn't expose everyone in my family! Now, find another excuse for why you thought it was okay to stop me?" I could cry for how hurt I was but I should have expected it, it was Elijah. He was meant to hurt me, I guess.
He was quiet when he thought about it. Why did he stop me from killing Gia? Of course, I would think it was because he still had feelings for her, but he would deny it until he was purple in the face. He didn't think it was because of that, he thought it was because Gia was conflicted about something that would cause her to go to great lengths to try and hurt the woman he loved. He was going to find that out on his own and then bring it back to my attention, it had to be deeper than it was. "If you need anything, I'm a phone call away."
"Don't count on it." I dropped my arms and stormed inside the door, leaving it open so that Vera could follow me in. She looked at Elijah for a minute and watched him get in his car and drive away, wondering why I couldn't just drive up alone if I was so upset with him.