Chapter Forty•One. Bennet & Darcy

Start from the beginning

"Booster seats?" It was his turn for his eyebrows to lower, he was confused because he didn't think the girls needed them, they were already quite tall for their age. Arabella knew what they needed though, so he decided to not argue with her. He was still trying to find ways to prove to her that he wanted her as much as he wanted his family to be together, he was going to fight for it if he had to. That started with listening to Arabella.

"You have so much to learn Daddy." Arielle laughed.

"What would you like to do?" Elijah looked up to ask Arabella and she just looked annoyed.

She didn't say anything more, she just smirked and started walking further down the sidewalk to get to her SUV, and as Elijah followed the girls who were skipping down behind her, he saw the large vehicle come into view.

Elijah thought his car was expensive and maybe too much for the small town of Mystic Falls but Arabella's was a lot more than his. But she only had it all blacked out so no one suspected it was her when she drove by certain people. It was to keep her hidden, it had nothing to do with being discreet.

She unlocked the doors and opened up the door on the back passenger side, it was meant for Elijah to help put the girls into the vehicle. He helped Arielle while Arabella helped Elise. He watched the way Arabella strapped Elise in and followed suit. He stood back and watched how comfortable they looked and realized that they did need it. He closed the door at the same time Arabella did and didn't bother arguing with her about who should drive. He climbed into the passenger seat and closed the door but didn't bother putting on his seat belt.

Arabella naturally did what she always did when she climbed in her truck, she turned it on, turned on the screen that was in the middle of her dashboard, waited for it to connect to her phone, she chose a song for the twelve-minute drive, then put on her seat belt. It wasn't long after that when she put the car in reverse and then drove off toward the school.

Elijah didn't want to focus on watching her. He wanted to see Alaric face to face so he thought about that. He wanted to make the judgment whether he wanted to kill him or not. He was debating, not entirely caring how much his daughters liked him.

He turned his head. He couldn't avoid looking at her because everyone in the family knew that he loved looking at her. If he didn't, then he wouldn't want to be with her, he wouldn't be fighting to be her husband. He would have given up on her so long ago. When he wasn't trying to look at her he pictured she'd be focused on the road, humming along to her music, but she wasn't. She looked like she was distracted, her elbow was propped up on the door while lightly biting her thumbnail, he could see she was distracted although her driving was impeccable.

"What are you thinking about?" He wanted to hold that in, but he knew that he wanted to know what was on her mind, good or bad. He wanted to know so that he could fix it. If he was able to.

"I'm not thinking about anything." She lied. She was contemplating how to rip her own heart out just so she wouldn't have to feel all the old feelings she was feeling. She was thinking of ways to jump out of the moving SUV without injuring her daughters in the process. She wanted to know how to not love Elijah the way that she loved him. She wanted to find a way out, she wanted to move on and she couldn't because just with one swift look at Elijah's face, she swooned as if she just met him. She didn't want that and she wasn't sure if she was able to fight against his stare. "I'm just missing my babies already."

"We're not even gone yet," Elise spoke up from the back seat first.

"I know but I won't be seeing you until summer break," Arabella looking in the rearview mirror, looked at her eldest as she made a pouting face to showcase that she was indeed sad to have them going back to school. She was so used to doing things with them and including them in her work as much as possible, she hated that they wouldn't be around to distract her.