Their professor decided to have classes outside in the middle of downtown to aid with gesture drawings of strangers through people watching.

After Ky, finding out Tia had never had Five Guys before, they decided that she should be introduced to the greasy burger place that served peanuts.

They found out their birthdays were very close despite Ky being almost a year older and Tia nudges her way through the guards Ky had grown accustomed to having up after so many meet ups after class, with a small gesture, "Happy Birthday, Ky!"

"Wait... what?" Tia sat in the middle of Ky's dorm room with a single cupcake with one candle.

"I said happy birthday, foo. Come blow out this candle before wax gets all over the frosting." Ky sat her bag down, still trying to figure out how Tia managed to get into her room, "This one of them big ass Publix cupcakes that cost $6 and you know I love you if I spent my food money on you."

"How did you-"

"Your roommate let me in."

"But I didn't get you anything on your birthday..."

"You didn't have to. You spent time with me when you were supposed to be working on your big assignment for Drawing 2. That class ain't no joke! But you still hung out with me til 2AM the next day..."

Ky's eyes started to water, she could feel her chest growing tight as Tia inched closer, her hand covering the flame as she began to sing.

That was the start.

Then she met Sean.

He had brought her coffee one morning, noticing they had always went to the break room at the same time and used it as a way to strike up conversation.
"Hazelnut right?"

"Right...."

"Sean, girl I just moved here and don't know a single person. You contracted too?"

She nodded, wearily taking the styrofoam Dunkin' Doughnuts cup from his hand. He told her where he was from, and more about himself without forcing her to reveal anything she didn't want to til eventually they ended up on the other side of each other's cubicles, both as hire-ons

These two had started to breakdown her tough exterior, but the one guarding her heart... that one remained a battle she needed to overcome. Her insecurities always preyed on her when it came to love, worrying that the other would someday leave her hanging once she decided to lean on them.

That they would let her down.

That they'd be lying to her.

That it would never be real.

That she was supposed to be alone.

That she couldn't attain happiness.

"I-I don't understand. What do you mean you need sometime to think?" Christian's chest was tight, he felt like he couldn't breathe. He had long left the hotel lobby and managed to get his phone unlocked.

Strangely after sending a few pleading texts her way, it was working again.

"I just...I don't know."

"Either you know or you don't. You can't just drop this on me and say I don't know. That's not how it works, Ky. How long have you been feeling like this?"

"...."

"Say something." His voice was stern, but he didn't yell.

"...I don't know." Her voice was shaky, barely above a whisper, "....It's just...been really hard."

"It's been hard for me too but—Ky, don't look like that."

Her brows were burrowed forward as she bit the inside of her bottom lip, looking away from the screen. She sighed, trying not to make herself cry, "Are you sure?"

"About what?"

"About us. Me?"

"Where is this coming from?"

"Can you just answer...please?" Her eyes glazed over, feeling vulnerable and unsure of herself was making her eyes watery.

"Yes."

"Then can you just give me some time to sort my mind out?"

"Are-are you breaking up with me?"

"No!.. I just...I jumped into this knowing I wasn't mentally prepared for it...knowing I wasn't strong enough to fight back my own negative thoughts. And.... I don't want to end up hurting you because I didn't have my shit together." She could feel tears starting to fall down her cheeks, not wanting to look at him as he spoke.

"So....what are you saying?"

"I'm saying...we should take a break. So that I can handle these waves of emotions and thoughts that constantly flood my mind because you're so far away... because I can't get to you. Because.... you're so in and out and..."

"... I get it." He sighed, trying to control his own emotions from erupting out, "I can't say I'll be completely patient. I'd be lying if I said I would sit here and be okay with it. Hell, I'm tempted to hop a plane right now." He laughed, trying to hide his seriousness, "How long?"

"I don't know."

"Come on, Ky—"

"I don't! It's not something I can just change over night, Ian."

"...okay."

"Please don't be mad at me." He was silent for a bit, processing what he was feeling, "We're still together, we ju—"

"I hear you... Just know that whatever those negative thoughts are you have about me...about us. I won't hurt you, Ky."

"How do you I know?"

"Because I love you. With literally everything I have. As illogical as it sounds, it's true. Okay?"

"...okay." Her voice was weak as she wiped away her tears, wishing she could jump through the screen and hug onto him, bury herself in his neck and smell his cologne, feeling his hair tickle her skin.

"Get some rest."

"You too."

"Bye."

"...bye."

Ian❤️😩:
Take as long as you need.
I'll be here waiting.
I love you

Ky 💙💍:
I love you too

"How'd you know it would play out like that?" Cheyanne stared in awe at the text messages on Adam's computer screen, surprised his little game of phone tag had actually worked.

"I over hear her talking to her friend at work. All you need to do is find someone's fears, amplify them and watch it play out."

Cheyanne eyes grazed over him with a bit of discontent, "You are truly terrifying."

"You just be ready for your end."

"And what makes you think he'll be here?"

"Simple." He clicked a few times and landed in Christian's photos, opening his hidden folder and l scrolling to a particular section of jewelry, "You don't easily let shit slide with someone you plan on marrying."