Phase Seventeen: Within Earshot

Start from the beginning

"Now's not the time for that, Dominic," Georgia hissed under her breath.  "Besides, Mr. Chang was just leave."

"Please, Baby Girl, there is always time for pleasantries."  The male model extended his hand.  Julian couldn't be together to do more than just stare at it.  He's close to her AND he has pet names?  Well, that's just frakkin' wonderful! "Dominic Vega - at your service.  It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Mr. Chang."

"Julian," he managed to ease out, jerking his hand out for to offer a gruff handshake.  "Nice to meet you as well.  I assume you're a friend of - ahem - George's then."

"That's none of your business!" George pointed out hotly. 

"I guess you could say that."  The slyness of his tone only angered him more.  "Georgia and I have known each other for a very long time.  We can be quite the pair sometimes.  Isn't that right, dear?" 

"Huh?"  Dominic gave a nod to George, who stared at a moment before a bright smile spread across her face.  "Why, yes!  Yes, we are.  We're like - peas in a pod."

Dominic wrapped his arm around her waist, and Georgia snuggled up close to him in kind.  Julian felt like he'd been punched in the chest.  Please don't tell me that's her boyfriend?  But it can't be!  "I-I see.  You two are...pretty close then."

"Very, very close."  She looked up to Dominic, smiling a dreamy smile.  Every ounce of Julian ran completely hot as he watched her gaze into his beautiful blue eyes.  "Not that it's any of your concern, but Dominic is a very wonderful man to me.  There isn't any other man in the world I can think of could be as wonder to me as he is."

Julian stumbled backward, unable to withstand that final blow to his heart.  His mind raced without after thought, and what seemed so assured before was all too uncertain now.  Was this really happening?  Was he overanalyzing all the feelings for her that swirled furiously inside him?  She looked really happy standing beside Dominic - they looked so sweet together, his teeth rotted in response.  But what about last night at the cafe, when she held his hand and pressed her cheek into his palm?  Didn't that mean something to her? 

Maybe your beast is the one meant to comfort mine... The memory of her soft, sensual purr filled his head.  Maybe there is something to this after all...

There had to be more to this!  There had to be!  He refused to believe it otherwise.  The spark, the connection between them existed, and he knew she felt it too.  Even if he royally screwed up things yesterday at the cafe, even if she was in the arms of the good-looking Dominic, he couldn't reliquished the idea that he was to be with this beautiful Georgia, and that Georgia felt nothing for him.

Julian really wanted to go up there, ripping Georgia way from his hold, and spirit her away to a private place where he'd do all he could to convince her of his worthiness...

...and then some.

"Now, if there's nothing else, then we are done here, Mr. Chang," Georgia suggested coolly as she strode over to him.  She stopped just before him, staring hard into his eyes.  "As I said last night, there is no further need for my services.  If you have any other requests, I'm sure any of my co-workers would be happy to help you."

Julian nodded reluctantly.  "I guess I should leave then.  After all - "  He gave Dominic one last stare of contempt  " - I'm sure you want to get back to your alone time."

"Kind of like the time you had last night after I left?" she challenged.  "Yeah...it's a real pain in the ass finding out that you're really just a third-wheel, isn't it?"