Chapter Six - James

Start from the beginning

I was considering saying something when I heard a voice say, "Didn't your parents teach you any manners?"

It was Guy. He always stood up for me.

Chad turned around to look Guy in the eyes, "No, they didn't. Did yours?  Oh wait, you don't have parents."

Guys immediately became furious, "Take that back."

"Why should I?"

For a moment I thought Guy was about to punch him but they were interrupted, "What's going on here boys?"

It was Mr Smith.

"Nothing, sir," said Guy.

He looked over at me, "Let's go. James."

As we walked away I took the opportunity to take another glance at Chad. He still had that ridiculous smug look on his face. I yearned to wipe it off of him.

Looking at it now I can see that Chad has always been this way. I guess I was just hoping that he wouldn't be so manipulative to Lola. I know that I have to do something to help her. I just need to figure out what.

-----------------------------------

I arrive at the picnic tables and take my seat next to Guy.

"Where were you?" he asks.

"Uh..." I quickly think of an excuse, "I was returning a book at the library."

"For fifteen minutes?"

"I was getting more out too."

"Show us then."

He's onto me.

After a moment I think of another lie, "Did I say I was getting more? I meant I was looking for more. But I didn't find any."

Guy just laughs, "James, you don't have to tell me where you were. I'm not some overprotective boyfriend."

My heart skips a beat. Overprotective boyfriend? Does he know I was talking to Chad? No that's crazy, he can't know. Did he mean anything by what he said?

I snap out of my thoughts for a moment and notice the shock on Guy's face. It's almost as if he didn't mean to say that out loud, and is unsure why he did.

I manage to find myself staring into his piercing brown eyes. I can't help wishing I could kiss him.

Suddenly I'm snapped back to reality by Tessa, "Maybe not but you're still overprotective none the less."

"What's that supposed to mean?" asks Guy, tearing his gaze away from me to look at Tessa.

She giggles, "Remember that time when you called all of us because you thought you lost James but it turned out he'd just walked outside?"

Guy blushes, "Okay, you do have a point. But I wouldn't call it overprotective. Just... protective."

Tessa continues to giggle, "Sure. So anyway, hows the songs going, Shawn Mendes?"

"Alright, I can't help but feel I might be behind though."

"How many do you have?"

"Four."

"That's quite reasonable considering the amount of time that you've had."

"Yeah, I'm just worried I'll run out of ideas near the end of it."

"Oh don't worry, I think you'll be inspired for a long while," says Amelia, winking at Guy.

Great. Whatever this inside thing that isn't a joke is, she's in on it too. I really need to get to the bottom of it.

-----------------------------------

I walk into my house and dump my backpack near the door. Usually I would take it to my room with me, but I decided to stay in the dining area and have afternoon tea with my parents. I knew they would both be home early today, and I haven't spent much time with them lately.

When I walk into the dining room however, I'm shocked by what I see. The dining room and the lounge are connected so I can see the couch from here. It's not set up for my dad to sleep on anymore but it does have a suitcase on it. A suitcase that my dad is in the middle of zipping up.

"What's going on here?" I ask.

I think I already know what's going on, but I don't want to believe it. I'm desperate for my parents to say that it's all a misunderstanding. That it's not what it looks like. That I have noting to worry about. But somehow I don't see that happening.

"James," is all my dad says.

"You're leaving?" I ask, trying to blink back the tears welling up in my eyes.

"I-I can explain," he stutters.

"Go on," I say, my anger and sadness both clear in the tone of my voice.

"Your mother and I have been having some issues for a while now."

"So your going to go somewhere else until it's sorted and then coming back?"

My dad would never usually do this. Any time he and my mum had any issues in the past they'd both sort it out reasonably quickly. No sleeping on the couch. No leaving the house. Just a restorative discussion. I don't see why this is any different. It can't be that bad or they would have told be, wouldn't they?

"James, sweetheart," says mum, walking into the room.

"Yes?"

"Your father and I are getting a divorce."

I'm both shocked and confused, it feels like my world is falling apart.

"You didn't think to tell me any of this?"

"We figured we'd sort it out. But it's been a long time since then. We kept promising ourselves to tell you but we didn't know how."

"So what? You were going to just wait until dad had gone and then break the news?"

"I... I don't know."

Suddenly I can't take this anymore, "If dad is leaving then so am I."

I walk towards the front door and pick up my bag, my mum follows me.

"James," she begs, "Please don't do this."

"It'll only be a couple of nights. I'll be at Guys house. I just need to get away from here."

And with that I exit the house. Once I'm outside I allow the tears to roll down my cheeks. I can't believe my parents wouldn't have told me about any of this. Suddenly I get the urge to run. To run away from my thoughts. So I do. I sprint as fast as I can, legs aching, tears spilling down my cheeks, not knowing what will happen next.