Chapter 24 - Confessions by Moonlight

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Emotions that he had spent years pushing down were threatening to come up to the surface. 

Devlin's death had given a new chance at life. And from what Darren had told him, the pack would be willing to accept him. But Kit still brought all his baggage with him. And he had no idea how Dan felt now, or what he wanted from Dan...

I love him.

Kit could no longer deny the feeling inside himself. But love had always brought him pain...was it worth it, trying to convince Dan to trust him again? To maybe...love him again?  

Then he forgot about everything else when Dan walked through the doorway and came up to his bedside, immediately enveloping him in a soft, warm hug. 

All his muscles relaxed and he closed his eyes. There is nothing else - only this.

Warmth and the smell of soap and fabric softener. Large, strong, gentle arms around him. When Kit made no move to hug him back, Dan pulled away, and Kit nearly whined out loud. 

"I need to tell you something," Dan said, looking down at his big, callused hands, voice low and gruff. "I...just need you to know."

"What?" Kit couldn't help his defensive tone. 

Last time they had sat next to each other, Kit had been wrapped up in duct tape instead of bandages, and Dan had believed him to be a criminal beyond redemption. Maybe he still did. Just because Darren forgave him, didn't mean Dan did. 

"I want you to know that I love you."

Kit flinched. What? 

"I know you might not want to hear it - after what I did. After I brought you back here against your will and made you reveal your past... I have no right to love you. But - I do."

"Is it my pheromones?" Kit snapped. Surely he couldn't really... "They shouldn't be affecting you."

"I am affected. Right now, my head is spinning. I can barely keep my hands off you."

"But your olfactory system is completely busted..."

Dan lowered his head down onto Kit's shoulder, a heavy comforting weight, stubble scratching his skin.

"You do this to me. Not your pheromones. You do."

His breath was ragged, voice low and deep. 

"Christopher... Let me treat you to pie every Sunday. Let me leave a spare key for you. Let me wake up beside you every morning. Let me spoil you, love you...live my life with you. Please, let me."

Kit's head spun. His own breathing sounded loud and ragged in his ears. 

"How could you possibly forgive me? Knowing all the things I've done..."

"I've killed people too - in the army. And rouge werewolves three years ago, and those attackers last week. I did it because I believed it was the right thing to do at the time. So if you killed someone that threatened your family - or your safety - or because you had to obey that vampire in order to survive - then I won't hold it against you. Not on any matter of principal."

"Do you even know what it's like living with an addict?" Kit forced the words out, swallowing hard. He had to make sure Dan knew, really knew.

"I'll never not be one. It'll always be my closest exit, my first instinct, the thing I resort to when things get rough. Something I can resist in good moments, but turn to in bad. And as much as I love you... in those moments, I might love a fix more."

"I know there will be hard times. But they will be a little bit less bad if we go through them together. And I will always be there for you, as long as you'll have me. I promise."