Chapter 24 - Confessions by Moonlight

Start from the beginning

"Why are you here? Why bring me to a hospital at all? I thought you didn't trust me," Kit rasped.

"Because I get it now. And... I figure maybe you suffered enough."

"Wow, who'd have known you were such a softie."

"When I saw that bastard cutting you up into ribbons it dawned on me that you took off to guard us from that crazy vampire. We could have stood 'tween you and him - we would have. But you left, and you didn't tell us why - let us think the worst of you instead - to protect us. You were protecting us from him." 

The tall, scruffy werewolf looked at him with something like respect and fondness. It was highly disconcerting. 

"So, I forgive you for being an asshole. Because that's what you do with your own."

With your own.

Kit looked away, blinking. Darren smiled, reaching out to ruffle his hair.

"We all heard you claim us as your pack."

"Ah, shit."

"And saw you shield us with your body from those silver bullets."

"Stop it."

"So even though you sure are one tough cookie...it seems like you got a heart after all -

"Don't say it."

"And it's ours! Well - my brother's. Right?"

Kit pressed his lips together. He could no longer deny it. 

"Has he...has Dan been here at all?"

"He will be here soon, I already called him. But no, he's stayed away until now - although everyone else in the pack have been on shifts. You haven't been alone."

Kit's heart sank in his chest. Dan had not been here...of course not. It had been too much to hope for.

"But you know why, right?" Darren continued, oblivious.

"He's just beating himself up like an idiot! Too conscientious by far, that dumbass. He's all 'It's my fault Charlie got injured and almost died. He was trying to run from me, trying to protect us and I'm the one that dragged him back here' -"

"Wait! Wait. He...doesn't hate me?"

"That's what I said."

"But I'm a criminal."

"Yeah."

"And I put his family in danger."

"Sure."

"And I'm an addict and a total slut."

"Just part of your charm, Char- I mean, Kit. God, that'll take some getting used to, that name. Suits you, though," he added quickly when he saw Kit frown.

"But seriously Ch - Kit. Dan would forgive you anything. You're his mate!"

"You keep saying that, but what does it really mean?"

"His mate. Like Morgan and Justin. Two parts of a whole and other sappy shit. He wouldn't have gone too all that trouble, gone to get you, helped you like you were family, loved you even after you shot him...if you weren't special, right? If you weren't the one? Don't you feel it too? Or are you still in denial?"

When Dan walked in not 10 min after Darren had left, Kit still sat with his mouth agape, dumb-struck.

He had not had enough time to sort through his feelings. Every time he though about Dan his stomach did a flip. But he also felt exhausted, guilty - for so many things everything - and sad.